Moderator: Moderators

rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

zxr400 coolant issues - updated

Post by rover220 »

please check latest post on this thread
Last edited by rover220 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Random
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: zxr400 fan/coolant issues

Post by Random »

Hi there to work the fan you dont even have to have the ignition on it runs straight from the battery all you have to do it pull off the wires going to your radiator and short them out using a screwdriver or something like that.

Coolant leak i had a leak i couldn't find wear it was coming from then tracked it down, theres a small hole in the pump and when the seals have gone then the coolant leaks straight out and then seal cant be replaced all you can do is buy another.
To see if it is that all you have to do is remove the left hand side fairing off and the front sprocket cover off and you will be able to see it still hard to see the hole because its on the back, just start the bike up and keep a look out don't burn your self tho.
Good Luck !!
ZXR 400 the bike of my dreams!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

if you shorted the wires to the fan and it aint working i would say its definitely your fan mate!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

ok cool

ill give th efan 12 volts today and see if it works that way.

coolant leak appears to be on the right hand side as the foam on th eright fairing gets wet...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Probably from the pipes just below the radiator cap, or your cap is blowing.........
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

have checked all the pipes and they are leak free. ive got mayo back in the oil now and i only did the oil change 2 weeks ago...

ive ordered the hg, base gaskets and 4 exhaust gaskets to do the hg as im not 100% happy that thats not to blame, only thing is, i know its leaking water so this is going against the failed hg theory but im damned if i can find the leak.

worth trying a new rad cap though so ill give this ago first before i pull the engine out but im not hoping for too much to be honest.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

how far up the panel is the foam wet? Could also be a leaky expansion bottle, i had this on my 7R, the tiniest of splits where the bottle is bolted, been over tightened and cracked the bottle. Common problem on the 7 too, kwak even bought out a new part to replace it.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

its about level with the expansion tank, and only in the area youd expect the tank to leak on, its not sprayed everywhere etc.

oddly, i went out earlier, with the fan sensor wires bridged and after about 5 mins the fan started working, no idea how or why but thats one issue sorted.

also fitted my scottoiler, seems to be a great peice of kit for what it is.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds odd about the fan! How far up was the temp needle before it came on, standard i think is about half way up.

Scottoilers are superb! Fitted one to my first ZXR, every bike ive had since has had one! People complain about the mess they make but they only do that if they are up too high. Seems people want the best of both worlds!
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

gauge was under halfway, temp sensor was disconnected so gauge reading was irrelevant, i just had the wires bridged.

how high should the coolant in the rad be with the cap off when cold?

cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Personally i fill it right to the brim, then when you put the cap on some will spil out, dont get it on the tyres tho its actually very slippery stuff!
Random

Post by Random »

yep fill it ryt up because it should have a pipe going to the expansion tank anyways so doesnt matter if over filled

the fan problem well sounds like you have a very bad connection and it just came on randomly
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

i have filled it right to the top and everytime i check it, its gone down some :smt009

had it apart today to fit scottoiler so checked all hoses and they were fine, expnasion tank doesnt appear to be leaking but its deffo loosing water :smt009
Random

Post by Random »

just take the expansion tank off and fill it right up with water and leave it over night.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

are you sure you have got all the air out of the system, run the engine for a few mins with the rad cap off and squeeze some of the hoses to get the air out, watch you dont scald yaself!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.