Oil Cooler Removal

Moderator: Moderators

raceyunky
My Bike: ZXR400

Oil Cooler Removal

Post by raceyunky »

If i take off the oil cooler should i link the pipes together or blank off on the engine?
Common sense is telling me to keep them connected without the cooler in the circuit, if so does anyone make such a connector?
thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Re: Oil Cooler Removal

Post by thomp1983 »

you can remove and bypass the oil cooler using the stock lines, iirc the longer one just needs bending round to fit but it's fairly obvious once you get down there and look

chris
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

pretty sure you can just blank them off too.
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

I decided to take the safe option to ensure that oil flowed without any restrictions. I used a piece of 10mm central heating pipe with elbows and a couple of scrap pieces of brass. Oh - and a couple of gaskets cut out of a Cornflakes box.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

thats pretty cool that!

though im still unsure on the benefits of losing the oil cooler - apart from losing the weight

MotoGP bikes have oil coolers on
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

someone needs to stick a couple of thermocouples around their bike, sling it round a track with/without oil cooler, then around town with/without.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
rccaulfield
My Bike: zxr 400l sp

Post by rccaulfield »

BigB wrote:thats pretty cool that!

though im still unsure on the benefits of losing the oil cooler - apart from losing the weight

In fairness the gp bikes have huuge fire breathing engines in em and cooling is an art! Yea weight loss thats it!- Its a racing mod imo!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

rccaulfield wrote:
BigB wrote:thats pretty cool that!

In fairness the gp bikes have huuge fire breathing engines in em and cooling is an art! Yea weight loss thats it!- Its a racing mod imo!
lol oh i agree bout the GP engines are fire breathers lol

i mean i've seen lots of people have pros and cons about removing the cooler, as much as i'd like to try it out, im scared as to how hot the bike would be
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Post by alanh »

removed my oil cooler on my racebike, just made a blanking plate up that covers both holes and fits onto all 4 boltholes. If engine cooks itsself i will report back and let you know :smt002
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

My bike still has the oil cooler on it but the new build will see it removed. It runs at the right temp when it's almost 100 degrees F outside without any tape on the radiator. That would be just over 37 C for the metric crowd. :) Mine doesn't run on the street, only the track.
stevi5
My Bike: many

Post by stevi5 »

Hi Guys removing the oil cooler is perfectly fine and you can simply blank the cooler outlet and inlet feeds, no need to have a bypass system like the one in the photo as in practise only some of the oil from the pump goes through the cooler anyway. I have blanked mine but I have fitted a cooler from a ZX6r which fits where the oil filter is and is water cooled.

Hope this helps steve
titi bzh
My Bike: ZXR 400 L2

Post by titi bzh »

Hi Stevi5

Do you have a picture of the Zx6r system?

Regards
Thierry
stevi5
My Bike: many

Post by stevi5 »

Yep but not sure how to post it on here, if you let me have an e-mail address I will mail them to you direct.

regards stevi
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Blanked off my oil cooler as I found a cracked line while prepping my bike a few days before my last race. Still had to tape the radiator to keep it in the right temp range. Cut them with an angle grinder, used the lines as a template for drilling the holes, no issues, no leaks and I got a third after not racing for over a year. :excited
titi bzh
My Bike: ZXR 400 L2

Post by titi bzh »

Hello.

Do you think that after removal oil cooler , the seal valves can be damaged (oil too hot) ?

Titi