Which coolant? =S

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Which coolant? =S

Post by Rasta-ninja »

So this is the story, im running low on coolant and i go to my local Halfords to buy some. I see 2 bottles, one saying for models before 98, and one saying for models after 98.... low and behold i have an L8 model :S which one do i get?! The guys at the store were no help what so ever -.- so im hoping someone on here could recommend something,
cheers!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Which coolant? =S

Post by CaNsA »

Anything will do mate, aslong as it has antifreeze in it if dont plan on swapping it out fore the winter.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by Rasta-ninja »

cheers mate, ive managed to find some, im now having trouble locating the cylinder drain plugs though, could you tell me where they are or show a pic, ive looked in the manual but it doesnt show a bigger picture of where they are...
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Few things you need to be aware of.

1. Make sure you use a coolant which is specifically labelled for bikes. Some car coolant formulations are totally unsuitable for motorcycle systems and will make a complete mess of it.

2. Personally I use premixed coolant - Castrol motorcycle coolant is excellent. But stuff you mix up yourself is fine. If you use the latter you MUST use distilled water to dilute it NOT tap water.

You say you're getting low on coolant. The coolant is a non-consumable. If you are losing coolant then you have a problem somewhere and need to trace the leak. It could be a simple leak from a hose, it could be a water pump seal failure or head gasket issue. Don't just ignore it and keep topping it up, that will be way more expensive in the long run.

Don't top the expansion tank up beyond half way. If you ride the bike hard and the tank is topped up to the max line it just blows it out of the breather and wastes it. Halfway is fine.

There are three drain plugs. One is on the side of the water pump, the other two are on the front of the cylinder block beneath the exhaust headers. Not being funny but if you can't find them from the pic in the manual here http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/H%20M ... er%203.pdf then you probably need a trip to Specsavers, it's pretty clear. You don't need to drain the coolant to top it up.

When you put the drain plugs back don't overtighten them. They just need nipping up. If you shear them off you're in a mess.

:smt001
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock