Overheating after 30minutes.

Moderator: Moderators

TGR
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Overheating after 30minutes.

Post by TGR »

Nearly at the end of my project zxr (or so i thought).

i start the bike up she runs fine takes about 5minutes to heat up, then within the next 4 minutes she goes to the red line on temp gauge and the fan kicks in. Then for the next 25minutes its stays at the red line with the fan coming on every now and again. Then by the 30minutes the bike shoots upto H and the fan doesnt seem to kick in again after the 25minutes resulting in the bike overheating and bubbling like crazy in the coolant res.

diagram:

just wondering if anyone had this problem and could shed some light on it. the bikes a 91L and theres no oil in the coolant, exhaust fumes smell strong as in your stinking off fumes once you leave the bike.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Overheating after 30minutes.

Post by cargo »

a bit of a breeze will help try riding it
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

cant argue with that advice. You shouldnt leave the bike sat there on tickover for longer than 5 or 10 mins.
TGR

Post by TGR »

nowhere to ride it :( bikes not road legal. what are these bikes like for smoke on startup?

The reason I asked is before bleed the coolant system the bike would overheat within 5minutes and the fan would'nt come on. i also have alot of white smoke for the first 10minutes then its clears. So the bike idling for 25minutes without overheating is'nt pointing to what I thought might of been a headgasket failure. but if the overheating after 30minutes is just down to the bike being left to long then great :)
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Lip carefully bitten nothing more to say on this one
TGR

Post by TGR »

had a guy look at the bike and he says its the valve stem oil seals that have gone.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

If valve stems are shot then its burning oil so the smoke u see will have a tint of blue/purple, not white. The guy who looked at your bike, who is he exactly?

Whits smoke just sounds like what you on a cool day when the bikes warming up.
TGR

Post by TGR »

RedexRobB wrote:If valve stems are shot then its burning oil so the smoke u see will have a tint of blue/purple, not white. The guy who looked at your bike, who is he exactly?

Whits smoke just sounds like what you on a cool day when the bikes warming up.
The guy is a bike mechanic, the way he explainned it is valve stems seals cause white smoke when the bike is cold and then you can get as you say blue smoke as the bike warms up but anyway. I finally got my compression tester and heres the readings:

Cylinder 1 098psi Cylinder 2 101psi Cylinder 3 092psi Cylinder 4 101psi

Oil Down Cylinders:
Cylinder 1 118psi Cylinder 2 110psi Cylinder 3 099psi Cylinder 4 110psi
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Cylinder 3 is borderline, but rest are ok going by manual specs.

I had valve stems go on a previous bike, never had white smoke, it was always blue but im sure he knows what hes talking about. Get that fixed and youll be sorted by the sound of it. Did the mechanic say anything about the fan?
TGR

Post by TGR »

he might do but then again :smt002 , i'm sure you guys know these bikes inside out and any suggestions are most welcome.
the bikes not been looked after, it was from motorcycle world then in 2003 it became a track bike, and now since i've bought it its getting put back on the road but its had a good trashing!

Fan seems to be working as it should now :smt017
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I think the only problem is it sat there running for 30 mins with no air flow. Sounds pretty normal otherwise.
TGR

Post by TGR »

it does have a simulated air flow by means of a electric powered fan infront of the bike, but maybe its not good enough. I've booked it in for a mot at the beginning of the month so legally i'll be able to test it on the road. I'll go make a post in "getting to know you" and someone might know the bike :)