fan aint kicking in

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: fan aint kicking in

Post by RedexRobB »

Still sounds like the head gasket to me with the bubblibg. As I said previously, get a compression test done. This will tell you if the head has gone or not.

It is do-able with the manual but you really need some experience as u can't afford to get it wrong. Parts don't come to much, a head gasket is £20its just the labour that will kill u. You can save a machanic time by removing the engine tho.
deebow1985
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 H

Post by deebow1985 »

hi red the bubbling doesnt seem to happen now but steam is coming from the overflow pipe on the expansion bottle is this again a result of a knackered head ?, how much will a pressure test cost me roughly ?,
what will the head gasket replacement involve ? whipping off the covers giving it all a clean taking off old one put new one on and put it all bak toghether ? is it as easy as it sounds
thanks for the advice
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Any decent bike dealer should be able to do it for you, however you could buy a compression tester and the right adapters and do it yourself. May even be cheaper than paying someone to do it plus you can do any of your other bikes down the line.

Head gasket is an engine out job and taking off the head, but you do need to be careful when it comes to certain bits. So in essence what you said is right but not as simple or as straight forward.
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

Ok thanks how much am i looking at for a pressure kit ? and where would i put it to try the pressure ?, i hear what your saying about the head would i need any special tools to do it ?
and would i be able to do it with manual handling or would i need a lift of some sort to lift things out
cheers
jordan
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

There will be instructions on how to use it but basically you take a spark plug out, turn the engine over and takes the pressure. The expected pressures can be found in the manual. Then repeat that for the other cylinders.

as far as engine goes you will need a friend to help lift it in and out if the head gasket needs doing. No special tools required just care taken when removing the cam caps as they break easily, also they are non replaceable as they are machined individually to each head.
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

ok im in a dilemma here, i aint really got the money to pay a garage to do the head if it has gone and im in 2 minds whether to do it myself but my brother said that i will have to get things re skimmed and something else done if it is the head thats gone and plus i dont want to break the things that you mentioned red other wise the engine is f**ked argh, is it a case of making sure you lift the top off straight and not wiggling it or do the cams just stick to it ?
also if it is the head gasket that has gone should i stop riding my bike immediately ? will i have done any other damage to my bike or will i if i am riding it ?
thanks
jordan
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Well id say a head skim is only needed if the engine has been run till the temp gauge is burried in the red zone and its melted the cams, which is an extreme case. I think at the end of the day it is advisable but theres many who have done it without the skim. choice is yours.

The cam caps are fine just as long as you undo each bolt that secures them, gradually. By that I mean undoing each bolt a bit at a time and slowly taking the pressure off. Reason is because if you undo each bolt one by one you will be left with the last one or two that are still done up tight that are taking the pressure of the valve springs which in turn puts stress on the caps and cracks them. So long as you do that u should be ok.

Other alternative is a 2nd hand motor.
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

I rang a local garage today and they said the nearest they can get me in is next thursday for a pressure test how stupid is that,
so i went for a little ride till next thursday and a whole load of toad was happening (sorry for the language but i thought the biggest problem was gonna be passing my test now its turned out to be this japanese bitch :smt013)

Problem number 1, there was a little lack of power she had warmed up but when i pulled the throttle back she was taking a bit to pick up the speed this never used to happen was ok when it hit 4k revs went up a bit faster.

Problem number 2, i could be sat there and the heat gauge was a half a centimetre from the red then as soon as i moved it would be quarter of the way up even when i was riding sometimes it would shoot right up.
And i never heard the fan kick in when it was up.

Problem number 3, it was struggling to start when i knocked it off, one minute it would sound like there is no life in the battery the next it would try and fire up, and after a while it would fire up :smt001

Problem number 4, a lot of steam is still coming from the expansion bottle over flow pipe sometimes when am riding but mostly when i pull up and knock her off.

Now im hoping the head gasket has gone and that is why im getting these problems, should i just replace it anyways ive heard you gotta do them every so many miles anyways, also should i replace the cam chain whilst i am doing this ?

To red as long as ive had the bike it hasnt been buried in the red, i wouldnt be able to do a head skim would i surely it will require a special tool ?, ive drummed that in my nogging about the cam caps ill do half a turn on one half on another and so on, after ive drained the oil and took the top off will i have to clean inside the engine or will it do it any harm if i do ?

I have got a clutch gasket, new spark plugs, oil filter, oil and a clutch plate im going to buy a head gasket but that could be next week will it do the bike any damage if i dont have any oil in it until it arrives because it wont be worth putting the new oil in it until the head is done or am i wrong ?

Sorry for babbling on and being a pain in the butt and thanks for the help
Jordan
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Problem with the compression test is you got the faff of taking the tank and airbox off which = time.

HG's tend to need doing at 20-25K miles, weather they need doing every 20-25K i dont know. A head skim requires an engineering firm to do as they will have the proper machinery. Regarding oil its fine out of the engine. :smt001
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

Cheers red how will I know if the head needs skimming ?. Should I do the cam chain while I'm at it ?
Also someone said about the sump plug should I worry about this. There's also some cheap carbs on eBay should I do these whilst I'm at it or am I getting carried away lol
Thanks
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

I just dropped the oil outta me bike, its black isnt it meant to be black with white gunky bits in it if the head has gone ?
cheers
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

Just an update ive just checked to see if there was water in the radiator and there was under a cup full i only filled it up right to the top on the 13th of september, i know it should be topped up now and again but that seems a piss take, it had an mot advisory for coolant leak but i cant see no where where the water is leaking out from when i fill it up. Any help how i can find where its coming from ?
My bike is a zxr 400 H 1990 model if that helps

Also just above where the oil filter goes, is it the engine block where it connects, and its kinda like split into different parts (hope this makes sense) well the seal or joint thingy lol, just above where the oil filter is it looks like oil is seeping out, i think its coming out very very slow though because i cleaned it all about a month n half ago and theres not much on it about a 7cm by 7cm patch where its ran down is this something to worry about ?

thanks
jordan
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

The head is something that has to be checked by the engineering firm to see if its warped. A cam chain is only 20 quid or so new, if you feel like it go for it :)

What did someone say about the sump plug?

Oil wont always be creamy, all depends if water makes it way into the oil or not.

Not sure how to find it, id say give the mot station a call. Checkk all the pipe joins, the radiator fins, water pump. Anywhere that has anything to do with the cooling system.

That oil leak, does it look like its coming from just under the exhaust outlets? Theres little holes underneath that allow water and oil to pass through from the spark plug wells. Unfortunately, theres o rings between the plug well tops and the rocker cover that leak, that makes its way to the bottom of the well and out those holes. Its an easy fix, new o rings top n bottom, if you come to do the head gasket then youll see them.

Id say get that leak sorted first, as that could be your problem, whats the bike like when you fill it up? Does it still boil? There must be somewhere where the coolant comes out if its leaking, fill the bike back up and see if theres a puddle or anything on the floor.