fan aint kicking in

Moderator: Moderators

deebow1985
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 H

fan aint kicking in

Post by deebow1985 »

Hi all i recently bought my bike and when i tried her she was making a boiling kettle noise and spitting water out of the overflow (i think thats what its called the white bottle under the seat), and a friend had a look and we found the sensor was corroded and one of the prongs snapped, so i replaced this with one off ebay and finally found where you fill up the radiator, and it worked great fan kicked in all the time.
So i put my bike away until i passed my test starting her reguraly, i finally passed my test put her through an MOT and on the way back from the test centre she started to overheat, on closer inspection the radiator was nearly empty again so i filled her up again and now the fan isnt kicking in at all and when i knock the bike off it sounds like she wants to make me a brew, the censor looks in excellent condition.
A friend said to put the censor in boiling water with ignition on and it should make the fan work (it didnt) then he said take the wires off the censor and put them toghether this should make it work (it didnt) he scrathed his and said i dont know then, now im left frustrated ive just passed my test and ive got a bike with mot and i just wanna go ride but im scared shell blow up on me.
Can anyone else help have i blown a fuse or something (i know nearly naff all about bikes)
ps i dont think anywheres blocked cos i left the bottom pipe off when i was filling rad and it came out quick enough
thanks in advance
Chadatious
My Bike: ZXR 400 H1

Re: fan aint kicking in

Post by Chadatious »

I think i have the same problem as my bike boiled the fluid and i dont think the fan came on, however my clutch was slipping so that could cause it to heat up. but im looking into the fan issue on mine and if i find anything ill let you know as soon as i know ;)
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

If theres a bubbling sound coming from the expansion bottle (the white one on the RHS on the L model, your sounds like H?) it can be a sign of the head gasket gone, as it pressurises the system with air and comes out of the rad through the bottle. By the way, you are checking the level in the radiator and not just the expansion bottle, right? And where about is the temp gauge when you say its overheating?

If you can get a compression test done do it, that will tell you if the head gasket has had it. What mileage is the bike on? Around 20-25k then more than likely the head gasket.

As for the thermistor (sensor), all what your friend suggested to do should have made the fan work. It may be worth checking the fuse box under the seat for any blown fuses and see. Other than that you may need to check all the connector blocks are clean and free from corrosion. Theres one in particular thats just under the back of the headstock that connectes the fan to the loom. To get to it might be a tank and airbox off job but if thats the reason its not working its worth it.

Hope that helps
Chadatious

Post by Chadatious »

Just reading your over heat bit, that has worried me now as my bike has 29k on it what was kilmeters but now miles so probs around 20k miles. and the fluid in the resivoir tank was bubling, but i turned it off and it was still bubbling for little white and then suddenly loads came out of the valve on top of the rad
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

RedexRobB wrote:If theres a bubbling sound coming from the expansion bottle (the white one on the RHS on the L model, your sounds like H?) it can be a sign of the head gasket gone, as it pressurises the system with air and comes out of the rad through the bottle. By the way, you are checking the level in the radiator and not just the expansion bottle, right? And where about is the temp gauge when you say its overheating?

If you can get a compression test done do it, that will tell you if the head gasket has had it. What mileage is the bike on? Around 20-25k then more than likely the head gasket.

As for the thermistor (sensor), all what your friend suggested to do should have made the fan work. It may be worth checking the fuse box under the seat for any blown fuses and see. Other than that you may need to check all the connector blocks are clean and free from corrosion. Theres one in particular thats just under the back of the headstock that connectes the fan to the loom. To get to it might be a tank and airbox off job but if thats the reason its not working its worth it.

Hope that helps
cheers for the replys, mines only done 23km, i really hope it aint the head gasket or im gonna kick the bitch, it only went in for mot on thursday im surprised they didnt pick up on it.
My clutch is fine so far cheers chad youll have to let us know it goes.

Yeah the bike is a H redexrob. yeah i checked the actual rad filled it up and filled the expansion bottle to the top as well left it running for a while and after a few mintues water started dripping out of the expansion bottle overflow then started getting more constant the longer the bike was on this will prob be the pressure wont it after about 10 minutes the temp gauge was about a quarter of the way and it sounded like it was boiling and carried on for a few seconds after i knocked her off

ill check the fuses now cheers for the help
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

Hi ive just checked and its the fuse that has gone on the fan, i havent tried it yet though will try tomoirrow and let use know
thanks
Chadatious

Post by Chadatious »

Well done on finding it, and you ddint fill expansion tank to top did you? as if you look from the other side throught the bike it has low-high markings on it. ;)
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

Cheers chad you learn something new every day lol, yeah i filled it right up but ill look for the marks next time cheers m8, hope you get yours sorted.

Is your bike the H1 model ?, do you know of anywhere i can get a foothanger and rear hugger ? mines also a H model and its a bitch finding parts :smt013
Chadatious

Post by Chadatious »

Yeh ive got a H1, its mint but engine was bag of crap and i fixed it all up wile was riding 125 and training for test and was sweet as then the clutch went after 15 miles lol. but back hopefully on wednesday :) and foot rest i got rear ones on here in the classified, and hugger i dont know if you after second hand ebay has once come along but i know a couple website with stuff so ill have a check what they got for ya. and maybe we could help eachouter out on what we learn lol. so you been rididng bikes long?
Chadatious

Post by Chadatious »

Okay only website with fairings on i know and new rear hugger is £55

http://www.jap4performance.com/kawasakiZXR400.html
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

deebow1985 wrote:Cheers chad you learn something new every day lol, yeah i filled it right up but ill look for the marks next time cheers m8, hope you get yours sorted.

Is your bike the H1 model ?, do you know of anywhere i can get a foothanger and rear hugger ? mines also a H model and its a bitch finding parts :smt013
Iv got a set of footrest hangers from an L model. They fit the H model no probs, just alter the original position slightly, back n up I think.

All u gotta do is swap the footrests, levers and brake switch over.

Pm if ur interested.

Headgasket wouldn't have come up on mot, they don't for anything like that.
Chadatious

Post by Chadatious »

You say bout MOT and my bike passed with a misfire, running lumpy, flat spot, dodgy clutch, overheating the lot lol.
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

Alright chad aint been riding long passed my test last thursday and CBT 3 months before that i would of passed sooner but i slept in for my module one to the dissapointment of my instructer lol, you been riding long m8 ?, lol yeah if theres anything i can help you with just ask m8 am not saying itll be the right answer though lol, ive not got much expiereince with bikes but im gonna give a clutch plate replacement a shot on the weekend ill let you know how it goes, that site link only does L1 models from what i can see :smt011, i dont think they fit on a H but thanks anyways.

haha what do they check for on an MOT ?
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

Ok so ive just took my bike for a ride id changed the fuse last night for the fan put the wires toghether to make sure fan would work it did :excited.
So hey im ready to ride i quickly went to the petrol station and gave her a treat and like real life women if it aint something expensive they dont perform for ya, it wouldnt start just kept ticking after sitting at the petrol station for 10 minutes like a bellend and getting shouted at for smoking around the side (wtf that all about i aint gonna flick the fag at petrol) i was gonna put it in my tank lol, well she decided to start so i went for a ride it felt awesome on mmy own bike without some c**t behind you saying toad, thats until i got home i was only out for 20 minutes till it started slashing it down i left me bike on tick over to see if i could get the fan to kick in, the temp gauge was about quarter of the way the fan didnt come on but water was coming out of the pipe on the expansion tank (pipe that runs down to the bottom of the bike) and it was steaming and when i knocked her off the water sounded like it was bubbling again, i dont know much about bikes but id guess that it shouldnt be doing that.

Has anyone any idea what it might be ?, if it is my head that has gone how much am i looking at to get it done ?, or how much is it for the part and is it a possible job to do on your own with a manual ?

thanks
Chadatious

Post by Chadatious »

I wouldnt like to say and if your clutch dogdy then? as that would cause over heating as thats what caused mine. and yeh i been rididng since i was 12 and now 17 bur had licence for just over a month now and cbt was year and half ago lol. and i got my bike back today toook it for a fly in he heavy rain :) loved it. just got dark and dash lights on speedo are gone so called it a nite before got done for speeding lol