Carb coolant system critical?

Moderator: Moderators

ThunderMuffin95
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400

Carb coolant system critical?

Post by ThunderMuffin95 »

Hey guys, just wanted to know are the coolant system pipes that connect to the carbs aren't critical for the engine ro run? Because recently I've replaced the complete valve head assembly as 1 the cam followers were completely buggered which caused awful clattering from the top end and two that I replaced the camshaft caps before realising that they shouldn't be changed. So I've got a head from a 2001 bike and it doesn't have the return line for the carb system so I've had to block them off, and after trying to start the bike and it then shows me symptoms of being 180 degrees out on the cams, so sort that and bike still won't start. I've been having issues with the ignition system not working because of a dodgy side stand connection so I'm fairly certain that's the main issue why it's not starting but I just wanted to make sure. I'm fairly certain they are just there to prevent carb icing but again I want to make sure they aren't critical for the bike to run. Thanks guys in advance!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Carb coolant system critical?

Post by banner001 »

Yeah the pipes are there to prevent carb icing. Not critical, most people (myself included) just remove them
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003