carb set up

Moderator: Moderators

stevegti2
My Bike: zxr 400 bogey

carb set up

Post by stevegti2 »

hi all im going to set my carbs up properley tomorrow and just wanted to clarify a few things let me know if this is wright

mixture screw low revs under 5000
float height [amount of fuel let in at the lower revs ]
neddle hight again fuel at lower revs
main jet all the fueling in the power band high revs etc
idle jet [its obvious]

bike is fine however in the lower revs if you snap the throttle from idle it wil have a half second delay then rev up so im assuming too much fuel in the lower circuit my mates vfr 400 doesent have this problem im comparing throttle response to that and his is superb

ive been looking for a float height and needle adjustment guide which way is more and which is less im sure ive seen one before but cant find it

cheers all help appreciated and will document my progress

steve :smt001
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Re: carb set up

Post by extonyg »

alot of things also add to carb settings like - carb sizes,jet sizes, air box and filter type, exhaust.
what bike you got?is it an import?
before you go adjusting everything make sure you dont have any airleaks from the inlet rubbers or the airbox it self other wise your adjustments are pointless.also might be worth balancing the carbs this can also make a difference.
let us know how you get on as i would be intrested what your setup is as im struggling to get mine sorted properly,
ive got an L1 32mm carbs art exhaust with 96 jets.
stevegti2
My Bike: zxr 400 bogey

Post by stevegti2 »

yea i balanced them then i found a inlet and a exhaust leak im gonna fix these first tomorrow then start with the carbs

uk spec L1 full power no rev limit etc
pipercross filter
100 main jets
akrapovic titanium can
and stainless headers
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

ye id get the air leaks sorted they will make a difference.have you got adjustable needles or standard ones?
ive been playing around with the bike today and ive got the clip on the highest point on the needles and mixtures at 3 turns out seems to be the best ive had it so far pulls cleanly pretty much all the way.did u put the 100 jets in because i think mine are just standard and was wondering if they will make a difference if i went up a size or two.mine seems to crank for a little while before starting now though also have to give it a little bit of throttle to start it and it just dies if i put choke on so i guess its still not right yet.