Fuel leaking from no.3 carb!

Moderator: Moderators

smithy674
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400

Fuel leaking from no.3 carb!

Post by smithy674 »

If you have seen my other posts i am having an ongoing problem with the zxr! It would seem boggy below 5000rpm and sounded like it was being choked. Well just now its also started leaking fuel from the 3rd carb..........so i now know its a fueling issue but what could that be? Inlet rubbers? I dont know if they have an over-flow on them but it dont look like it leaking anywhere specific just around the carb! HELP!! :smt013
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Fuel leaking from no.3 carb!

Post by masterofinsanity »

is it leaking from the inlet rubbers? float bowls? carb tops?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
smithy674

Post by smithy674 »

Well having a closer look its leaking from the over-fuel pipe by the 3rd carb. Just been for a run and its fine abover 5000rpm just over fueling below.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds to me that the float heights are incorrect or the float needle isnt seating properly.
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi

Have you taken the float valve seats out and checked the rubber o rings? They have a habit of leaking over old age. Also if you can, try and split the carbs and check the rubber o rings on the end of the plastic fuel pipes that go in between the carbs them selfs. They tend to wear too.

Good luck

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
smithy674

Post by smithy674 »

Its been playing up over the last few weeks but would sort itself out after a few miles riding i think its finally given up now! I dont fancy taking the carbs apart the only carbs i have taken apart have been on 125's. Think its going to be a garage job!!

The cam chain could do with replacing soon to...anyone have any idea how much it will cost?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Carbs arent that hard mate really. They simply are a case of taking apart, clean and re-assemble. Theres nothing to adjust except the fuel heights which you can check before you strip, if they are ok just be careful you dont bend the tags while working on them. Have you tried draining the carbs through the bowls? Could be a case of water in there, quick n simple to do aswell.

Cam chain is only 20 to buy plus your own time, but if you pay someone you could be looking upto 100 quid just in labour. N if you get the carbs done they will need to spend time investigating what the problem is so you can add more on top of that plus any parts required.