Moderator: Moderators

Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Fuel leak.

Post by Scott221 »

Noticed this recently.

When I get off the bike and put it on the side stand I can see fuel dripping down from the tank. The area where there is a small hole between the tank and the frame. Just infront of the petrol tap. Iv'e tried to reach up to feel where its coming from but no luck. The drip is not constant and after a few seconds it stops.
I also have cold start problems. When I hit the starter button the bike starts fine, runs for about 5-10 seconds then dies. It will not start then and acts exactly like it would if the bike is flooded. The only way around this is to always start the bike with the choke on or hold the throttle open and keep the bike revving.

I also suffer from the revs haning when the bike is hot. I've noticed if I tip the bike to the right the revs will drop off.

Going back to the fuel leak. I was suspecting it may be the seal where on the top of the carbs which runs around the entire unit and slots into the grove. Mine is totally fecked. Could that be the cause? I always make sure the fuel tap is turned to off when stopping.
One life, Live it!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Fuel leak.

Post by masterofinsanity »

scott you should have a drain pipe runnin out the airbox down the left hand side with a bung in the end, sounds like its full, drain it off and see if it happens again.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

I have that drain pipe but its gt no bung in it. So it can't be full.
One life, Live it!
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

just cos there is no bung, that dont mean it isnt blocked ;)
Quicker Than Yngwie

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Youll have to get that panel off to see properly, but i suspect it might be the fuel tap or the seal from the tap to the tank.