Fuel Pump, Carbs My Brain .

Moderator: Moderators

diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Fuel Pump, Carbs My Brain .

Post by diesel »

well, here we go again. Cleaned the carbs yesterday as water had got in them. Bike wouldnt start well, lots of pops and massive bangs , took em off, re cleaned em this morn, sealed every rubber , tighten every bolt. same prob. i noticed that fuel wasnt getting thru, had a look at the pipe was kinked. fair enough eh. put that right and checked for fuel flow from no 4 carb bowl as i had left the bowl drain screw undone. fuel was coming out. Now i thought fuel wasnt sposed to get to the carbs unless the bike was turning the pump over? its a continuous flow. is this right?the bike is still making massive bangs and im a bit lost as to why. and also if i didnt know better id say that tere was the odd hydro lock or whatever its called , where too much fuel gets into the chambers and locks up. now surely the float bowl needles should stop that?

My brain is frazzled. i didnt touch the electrics, only the HT leads to check for good spark. etc.

What now?
Quicker Than Yngwie

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Fuel Pump, Carbs My Brain .

Post by RedexRobB »

If you had started the bike then there will be fuel in it, and if you undo the drain screw it will come out, but it should stop after a minute or so once the bowl has emptied. If it keps coming after a few minutes then theres definately something not right. I dont know how much fuel may pass the pump under its own gravity but my understanding is that there shouldnt be any.

I think what i would do is get those carbs apart again, give them another clean and also blast air through every single orifice, especially the jets, and let them dry over night in a warm room. That way your making sure they are water free. And also give the fuel pump a flush though by sticking the tank pipe in some fresh fuel and the carb pipe end into a container and turning the bike over, that should start squirting nicely if all is ok with that. It also gives you the chance to see if the pump is just allowing fuel to push through.

You may also want to think about flushing the tank through aswell, lewis had this on his bike where water was getting in and turned out to be loads of it in the petrol tank. Drain out as much fuel as you can and then take the tap off and flush more fuel through with the tank over a container. Worked a treat on lewis' bike.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

good reply but with regards to fuel in the bowl. the carbs had just been put back on dry. i tried starting and nothing. i opened the float drain valve and nothing was coming out. i sorted the fuel line, turned the tap back on and didnt touch the starter. i looked at the bowl and fuel was pissing out. gravity fed id assume? im fairly sure that isnt sposed to happen!
Quicker Than Yngwie

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

yeah i dont think it is either, in that case id give the pump a going over and what the deal is with that.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

have you changed the plugs?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Just had another thought, if fuel was passing the pump, wouldnt it have done that while you had the carbs off or did you disconnect the tank? Maybe just quickly put the tank back on and see if it does it with the carbs disconnected.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

quick update guys. and more help needed. i sourced another set of working carbs, installed them etc and still have the same prob. It will start eventually , then when its running it sounds perfect. if i then stop it and try to restart it it wont start and i get huge backfires and the odd hydro lock i think its called. like i say , when its running its fine. its just getting it there and restarted. could it be water in the fuel causing probs as ive drained off a load but not emptied the tank and started fresh.

also, when it was runnning the second i put it into gear the engine stopped. should be a simple prob but ive drawn a blank. any ideas?
Quicker Than Yngwie

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

clean that tank!! as rob said mine had a toad load of water in there!! so youres may be the same, and was youre stand down when u put it in gear?
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

yea stand was down but i didnt think that mattered until u tried to drop the clutch
Quicker Than Yngwie

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

no im sure the bike will cut out if the stands down as soon as you put it in gear, i know it does with most bikes