Moderator: Moderators

ZXR King
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Carb Heaters?

Post by ZXR King »

Hiya,

Ive just been reading through a load of posts on the forum and I came across one which mentioned "UK spec carbs with heaters" to prevent the carbs from icing up during the winter. My bike is an import but I was wondering if the heaters are aftermarket or standard equipment. It's my first winter with a bike and I need to be using it regularly so cant really be doin with the thing not starting all the time!!! Anyone know about these heaters? Thanks very much,

James
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

the carb heaters were standard fitment for bikes imported to colder countries, i don't think they will cause too much of a problem here in the uk as it never gets really cold does it? enough to freeze the carbs?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

If you intend running your bike through winter, and can get carbs with heaters .. do it .. ive had major carb icing problems on these engines with import carbs .. all you need is around minus 4 degrees C and damp air and you're on pilot jets until the mains de-frost, which doesnt help, cos as soon as they start working, they freeze and clog again .. so you end up backfiring along the road..

to check if you have heaters or not, just look for a pipe with coolant in it running to the carbs in sequence then to the cylinder head ..
Yoshi
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Yoshi »

My carbs used to be heated, but now they're not coz my new head does not have the place for it to connect to.

It seems to run ok and I been starting it and riding it on some of the cold mornings recently.

I don't think it's worth the effort and expense of replacing the head.

Yours might already be heated, I don't know.