Standard FCR needle size?

Moderator: Moderators

Grooveski
My Bike: ZXR400 M1

Standard FCR needle size?

Post by Grooveski »

Hiho,

One of my carb needles is damaged and I've been trying to track down a replacement but with it being the SP model with the FCRs the dealers don't even have 'fiches.
K-UK knew the number but said it could take a while to get one.

Called Allens Performance and they'll have one if I measure it up.
Don't have a micrometer, have a pal who does but with him working wierd shifts and me being off the road it'll also be while before I can borrow it.
It's part number - 16009-1678
The needles are stamped 91EXR but apparently japan and europe use different sizing conventions.

So just thought I'd ask on the offchance that someone's already been through all this and knew the Keihin N427-90 code for a standard L1 SP needle.

For those curious as to how the hell you damage a needle...
...me too.

Pet theory is that the clamping bolt holding the circlip down at the top of the slide has been loose and vibration over time has worn away until eventually the needle rattled off and dropped.
Other thought was that the needle might have been getting jammed down into the jet then janked back out but the needle's not excessively worn and the slide would have had to have been real low, would have surely had tickover problems with one pot essentially blocked.
Last edited by Grooveski on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Standard FCR needle size?

Post by cargo »

Why don't you just send it to Allens and they can measure it and send you a replacement.
Grooveski

Post by Grooveski »

Certainly sounds like a plan. :)
(Sitting here shaking my head thinking "why didn't I think of that?")

Will give them another bell in the morning and that'll most likely be what'll happen. Thanks for the suggestion!
Grooveski

Post by Grooveski »

Got there in the end.

Chap from AP wasn't keen on me sending the needle so I measured it up at my pal's eventually.
Turned out to be a non-standard affair not on the Keihin chart. The charts start at 'D' for a .75° taper but the needle was a .5°. Would be a 'C' if they went that low(CQR).
...so the plan was to get a full set made to CQR specs.

...then the morning after I got it measured K-UK got back in touch to say they and K-Europe had added the needle part number to their systems and I could now order one from my local dealer.
...which I have.

Saga over. All's well that ends well. :)
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

Its nice to hear the end of a saga.

Sometimes these threads dont have an ending - its a bit like missing the last episode of a drama without having 'catch-up'

smiler
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

One question answered but that raises another. One wonders what other flat slide parts are added to KUK parts system or even other SP parts. Close ratio gearbox anyone ????
Grooveski

Post by Grooveski »

Gave Matt at K-UK a bell there, thanked him for sorting things out and asked... They only added that one part to get the order through.
We got blethering about the differences between the L and SP models. I noticed he was calling it the M and was just thinking "he knows his stuff" when out came the line "...used to have a zxr myself - fantastic little bike"
:D
So aye - a notable contact. I didn't get the impression it was a bother to get the part added, just a bit of a palava because it had to be done all the way down the chain.

Was more hi-tech red tape at the local shop. "Right, I can see it on the K-UK system now but I need to add it to my in-house system as well before I can order it."

Groan, will somebody please take my money!