Moderator: Moderators

Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 2002 ZXR 400 L9

Regular vs. super unleaded?

Post by Jack94x »

Hi everyone,
Just got my ZXR up and running this weekend (Yay!) and I'm not sure whether to run it on regular or super unleaded fuel? From what I understand (I may be wrong), using a higher octane rated fuel than specified by the manufacturer is pointless because it makes no difference other than the hole in your wallet. However searching on the internet you find people that swear that their bike performs better in some way when running on premium fuel. I was just wondering if anyone on here runs their ZXR on premium and if they notice any difference? Also one last thing, if someone could tell me the capacity of the reserve tank that would be great :) Cheers.
Cheers.
Jack
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Regular vs. super unleaded?

Post by banner001 »

the octane numbers are related to the amount of compression you can subject the fuel/air mix to before it self detonates (knocks), our bikes are rated for a minimum 92RON, so anything above that does nothing from a detonation point of view.

some petrol's contain particular additives to supposadly clean the fuelling system, or the cylinders, or contain ethanol etc...some of these might have an effect...but personally i fill up every week on morrisons 95RON petrol and my bike is perfectly happy with the cheap stuff.

main tank is 12L reserve is 4L. - semantics aside.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

There is NO reserve tank on a ZXR400.
There IS one tank with different internal outlet pipes.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Jack94x wrote:Hi everyone,
Just got my ZXR up and running this weekend (Yay!) and I'm not sure whether to run it on regular or super unleaded fuel? From what I understand (I may be wrong), using a higher octane rated fuel than specified by the manufacturer is pointless because it makes no difference other than the hole in your wallet. However searching on the internet you find people that swear that their bike performs better in some way when running on premium fuel. I was just wondering if anyone on here runs their ZXR on premium and if they notice any difference?
Jack94x wrote:Also one last thing, if someone could tell me the capacity of the reserve tank that would be great :) Cheers.
I get about 20-25 miles when I flip to reserve.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::