Choke lever/handle not staying open

Moderator: Moderators

triptronix
My Bike: 2011 ninja 250r

Choke lever/handle not staying open

Post by triptronix »

Hi

I am looking into picking up a 91 ZXR400 L1 in the next few weeks. One problem I am seeing with the bike is that the choke lever has to be held open. Any recommendations on what to check to sort the issue? I was reading on another forum that the spring maybe missing?

The bike was imported into Toronto (by NUAKJDM.ca) late last season and I checked the bike out on multiple occasions already, seems to be in good shape.

Thanks
Trip
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Choke lever/handle not staying open

Post by CaNsA »

Mine does the same, just hold it for 30 secs until the bike will tick over on its own steam.
Jump on and take it easy until the bike has warmed up then braaaaaaaaaaaaaaap braaaaap braaaap braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Theres two or three screws that set the tesion on tge choke slide on the front of the carbs. Give them a tighten and try the lever til its right. Easy fix.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Bit of bicycle grip tape on bar as lever is likely worn - works a treat :smt023

Lever still available new but tape is way cheaper and doesn't need a Kawasaki dealer :pmsl
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

CaNsA wrote:braaaaaaaaaaaaaaap braaaaap braaaap braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.
Zorst sounding sweet, it's like reading youtube :smt023
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Righto,

Today, while i was cleaning the left switchgears because my indicators were being complete arseholes, I spotted a small bit of plastic inside the switchgear housing on the back half.

It is located next to the choke slider guide.
a small screw is holding a small metal plate on it.
Unscrew it, take out the small plastic bit and clean the spring, the plastic bit and the recess where it sits.
Put everything back together and check out how the choke lever will stay in place.

You're welcome.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

CaNsA wrote:Righto,

Today, while i was cleaning the left switchgears because my indicators were being complete arseholes, I spotted a small bit of plastic inside the switchgear housing on the back half.

It is located next to the choke slider guide.
a small screw is holding a small metal plate on it.
Unscrew it, take out the small plastic bit and clean the spring, the plastic bit and the recess where it sits.
Put everything back together and check out how the choke lever will stay in place.

You're welcome.
I'll be doing this to project L2, cargo is too busy pulling wheelies :pmsl A big ta to the Scouse.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.