problems with ethanol fuel?

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

problems with ethanol fuel?

Post by ross46 »

today is not the first day this has happened and im sure its not going to be the last, riding along, switch the bike onto reserve and it starts cutting out, needing choke to run etc. checked the fuel in the bottom of the tank and found that their is a mix of water and ethanol at the bottom of my tank. last time I drained a sample of, and tested the specific gravity of the mixture and found that it is not just water and is unlikely to be petrol as they don't mix and the mixture would have had a miniscule amount of petrol in or the readings would be different. so my question is has anyone else had problems with new fuel which was set to rise to 10% ethanol last year? I plan to try get the mixture of water and ethanol checked to confirm. it really has annoyed me that the government has decided to enforce these rules meaning that older cars and bikes are suffering problems because they cant reach their "green" goal.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: problems with ethanol fuel?

Post by banner001 »

no problems here, but i use my bike every day and ive got it set to drain from the reserve, not the "on" setting. it gets a fresh tank of fuel every ~10 days, and i drain the tank and carbs fully if im leaving it more than a week without use (rare).
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

FWIW

The shell version of Super Unleaded has 0% ethanol.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

if you can drain off the water you should be ok to still use the fuel as long as its fairly fresh, you will have lost some of the ethanol in it as it will have preferentially dissolved in the water, but thats not going to cause you bother.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

shell super has 0% ethanol, will use that all the time then, i think its where i leave it in the "on" position unless i'm really low and water has accumulated which doesnt help as ethanol is hydroscopic, so the ethanol and water mixture sits at the bottom of the tank in the reserve portion
maelstrom
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by maelstrom »

Apart from the water absorption and related problems.
Here are some facts. Please note that I sell carb kits made from Viton so I have a vested interest.

1/ Viton is the only elastomer that is resistant to ethanol blend fuels. Note that I said 'blend'. NBR, what the OEM parts are made from, is resistant to pure ethanol but not ethanol-petroleum blends.
Here is the best research that I have found on the topic http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publications ... b27766.pdf
No other document, that I have seen, even comes close to this work (extract from summary below).

2/ 10% Ethanol blend will cause all of your carb seals to suffer from embrittlement and fail. It is a simple fact. All of the stories about "manufacturer's have known for a long time blah blah" are nothing more than unsupported rhetoric. I have tested genuine parts from the big 4 Japanese manufacturers and not one of them was made from Viton. You will also find claims by parts resellers that their products are resistant to Ethanol, but they do not state what their products are made from. NRP in the UK is one of the exceptions; they categorically state that they use Viton for some of their parts.

Now I know that some of us are lazy and reading a research paper can be a tad boring so here from the summary. Note that Viton is the trade name for DuPont's flourocarbon elastomer.

5.2.1 Fluorocarbons
Fluorocarbons yielded the lowest decrease in physical properties of the elastomers tested in this study. The addition of ethanol did not drastically affect the measured properties, and the eight fluoroelastomers exhibited only modest swell and softening (wet hardness decrease) upon exposure to the test fuels. The specimens swelled to around 20%, which is considered the upper limit for many sealing applications. Likewise the fluoroelastomers did not experience shrinkage and mass loss at the dried condition, nor did they become embrittled. . . . ..

5.2.5 NBR
The eight NBR samples (and polyurethane) showed a pronounced increase in volume swell and softening when exposed to fuels containing ethanol. Exposures to Fuel C resulted in volume expansion approaching 20%. When exposed to the ethanol-blended test fluids, the NBRs swelled by more than 30%. Likewise, the hardness values dropped an additional 10 points when ethanol was added to the test fluid. When all of the samples (including Fuel C exposures) were dried, 8% to 14% of the mass was lost and the accompanying shrinkage was between 10% and 18%. The dried hardness was increased 5 to 16 points, indicating that embrittlement had occurred. NBR was one of only two elastomer types (the other being neoprene) that exhibited significant embrittlement in the dried state, indicating that plasticizer components were being removed by the test fuels. . . . .

cheers
Blair
Carb kits in viton
http://litetek.co
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Having used these kits twice, with two more winging their way to me, I defo recommend them, they are even packaged beautifully. All on different carbs btw.
One other thing Blair, how many do I buy before my free kit??? :smt002
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
maelstrom

Post by maelstrom »

Aaah Mr Kwak Kwak I noticed your name pop up again with your latest order.
I will pass your request on to my Thai wife. :smt003
cheers
Blair
Carb kits in viton
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

maelstrom wrote:Aaah Mr Kwak Kwak I noticed your name pop up again with your latest order.
cheers
Blair

There's another customer coming your way today looking for FCR seals. Darren is his name. Your reputation is growing. Care to sponsor a road racer ? Broke and adrenalin addicted
maelstrom

Post by maelstrom »

Hi Cargo,
I guess you know we already sponsor a small race team in Aus; it is on the home page. But by all means send me a pm.
cheers
Blair
Carb kits in viton
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Nearly all ZXR's should be run on hi-Oc / premium fuels - so far these have escaped ethanol.

Do your research to find out if your engine is using hi-comp pistons as standard , if it is your killing power on regular !

My 2T's are only ever on Hi-Oc but after a few reads all bikes will be. Will also be stocking up on Hi-comp pistons for the new block and other builds :smt001
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
maelstrom

Post by maelstrom »

+1 To what Mori Man said.
Avoid ethanol blend fuel as much as possible.
Carb kits in viton
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

maelstrom wrote:Aaah Mr Kwak Kwak I noticed your name pop up again with your latest order.
cheers
Blair
Ta Blair, I appear to be addicted to CVs and LiteTec kits. I should just set up a standing order with you :pmsl
If you ever God forbid, decide to discontinue the ZXR kits please please forewarn me.
Stu.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

maelstrom wrote: Avoid ethanol blend fuel as much as possible.
As far as I know JAMA have said they will not accept Ethanol in premium fuel in Japan , most high end cars all use it and as far as I am aware all manufacturers have said it's a no-no in their motors.

My latest motor is a Hi-Oc guzzler :smt003
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

All petrol stations should have a special bugle alert for us superplus etc users, so all the mere mortals watch in awe, we know the good stuff, we use it with pride, and our bikes and cars bloody love us for it. Personally I puff out my chest every time I use the high oc pump :smt003