Carb needle sizes.

Moderator: Moderators

gsxrchris

Carb needle sizes.

Post by gsxrchris »

Quick question. Has any body come across needle size N36Y.
I'm just playing about trying out different jets and the like.
I have had a set of spare 32mm carbs under my bench kicking around for a while now and never opened them up.
I found that they had #102 mains which I'm happy about coz I wanna try that size up from #95's
which I'm currently running. I currently have N77S needles in at mo and the mid range is pretty good.
Any feed back on N36Y needles (which are about 2mm shorter and narrower too) would be appreciated.
Bike is a '98 plate L5.
Guess that not really a quick question!!!
Cadorna
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 H1 '90

Re: Carb needle sizes.

Post by Cadorna »

Hi.

I'm in the same situation that you ... so, did you finally tried these needles and jets ? What was your experience and results ?
gsxrchris

Post by gsxrchris »

I have found out that the carbs I had were from a H1. Although the carbs look the same the standard needles and differ from L models. After giving the carbs a thorough strip down and clean I set the floats to 12mm, refitted the standard pilot jet (which if remember was #45) refitted the N77S needles and put in the #102 main jets and balanced the carbs. The idle mixture screw i turned out 2.5 turns. She goes really well now pulling all the way up to 14000 RPM with a little kick at 10000 RPM and the flat spot around 3-4k has almost disappeared. Next time I lift the tank tho I may turn the idle mixture screw back in 1/4 of a turn because I think she running a little rich, I dont need any choke to start from cold and starting after filling up the petrol station and giving a touch of throttle when cranking results in lots strter motoring, so best just to hit the starter when she cough on 1-2 cyls small amount of throttle and she idles like a gold watch.
Hope any of this helps.
Cadorna
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 H1 '90

Post by Cadorna »

Thanks gsxrchris for your response.

What set of carbs did you use to fit N77S and #102 main jets ? The L or the H ones ? Because emulsion tubes are not the same and I had performance problems with L carbs with H parts that include needle N36Y, slow jet #35, main jet #102 and the H emulsion tube, Now I'm on L set of carbs with #35, #95, N77S and L emulsion tube plus the slide lift hole drilled to 2.8 mm . All carbs are balanced and mixture screws are at 2 3/4 , I set the floats to 11mm, but I have a spluttering at 8000 RPM with the bike running, but at neutral position RPMs rise with no problems. Bike refuse to rise from 8000 when running on each march and I have to play with choke and throttle to, sometimes, break that and pass to higher RPMs ... very confused ...
Needles H vs L.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.