Could you answer a few questions about carbs?

Moderator: Moderators

Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

Could you answer a few questions about carbs?

Post by Smousley1995 »

I understand the basics of how carbs work but have some questions :smt006
1. Is it correct that the pilot jet controls idling and just above idle, the shape and height of your needle in the main jet effects midrange area and the main jet size effects the top end area?
2. What exactly are you doing when you balance or sync carbs (if they're the same thing) and does this effect your fuel mixture at all?
3. When you screw in and out your pilot air screw, does this only effect it on idle or does it change fuelling through the whole rev range?
4. How do you set up your pilot air screws?
5. Would I get noticeably more power if I was to change the air filter and match the carbs? (Read below)
6.if I did change the air filter and carbs would I be able to get it running smoothly and we'll on my own or would it need to be dynoed?

My bike is standard except for aftermarket down pipes (might be micron, not sure) which are 4-2-1 63mm diameter and a sp engineering can which is 63mm bore, about 25cm length with no baffles (it's basically a straight through pipe)
It runs fine with standard air filter and standard carb set-up.
Thanks for any help biggrin
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Could you answer a few questions about carbs?

Post by ross46 »

1- yes that is correct
2- balancing the carbs is using screws on the carbs to adjust how much each individual butterfly valve is open so that the carbs are pulling in an equal amount of air, so equal amount of fuel on each cylinder
3- the pilot screws only have an effect up to about 4k revs, then the job is taken over by the needle/float height
4- their is a couple of options i have heard of, adjusting the pilots so they are all equal and finding how many turns out makes your bike idle smoothest. the other option is to adjust the idle screw based on the revs. you adjust each individual screw so that it revs at its highest/ smoothest, you do this across each 4 carbs. This works because each cylinder/ carb aren't perfectly equal ( just look at peoples compression tests) they need different amounts of fuel. Or the best bet is to stick it on a dyno.
5- you might not get much more power. i havent put mine on a dyno but with the stock air filter it was slightly smoother, whereas the K&N made the power more aggresive but it can be difficult to get the fuelling spot on
6- Yes you can, most people on here will adjust their fuelling based on feel and then to perfect it, take it to the dyno. It will be a waste of money paying for 3 runs to even get the jet sizes in the ball park. you can tell by riding the bike if the fuelling is out. Try putting on a bit of choke at different points in the rev range and see if it makes the bike feel better or not, before i changed my main jets i would put the choke half on for high revs and take it off lower down.

If their is anything incorrect feel free to comment, Ross46
Smousley1995

Post by Smousley1995 »

Thank you that was very helpful!
I think I'll keep it how it is, I only wanted the exhaust for looks and sound :smt003
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Smousley1995 wrote:Thank you that was very helpful!
I think I'll keep it how it is, I only wanted the exhaust for looks and sound :smt003
You've heard mine revving out, carbs bog standard settings, standard air filter, just the zorst not standard, runs sweet, ditto looks and SOUND :smt020
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
Smousley1995

Post by Smousley1995 »

Yeah I'm sure these sound so much sweeter than most bikes with loud exhausts on!
I just fully cleaned my carbs this morning and went for a ride in the little sun we had and it sounded and soooo much better than before, I couldn't believe the difference, it's so smooth :excited

I also found this smiley and thought it was cool :smt032 :smt032
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Smousley1995 wrote:I also found this smiley and thought it was cool :smt032 :smt032
I do like a smiley, wish I could get my bike out, ar5e end is off it, might start it in a mo and have a refreshing blip or two, some music for my neighbours dancin
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.