Fuel Tap Leak & Screw Issue

Moderator: Moderators

Wilki
My Bike: ZXR 400

Fuel Tap Leak & Screw Issue

Post by Wilki »

Hey guys!

Got my new ZXR 400 L2 and when I took the petrol tank off I attempted to take off the petrol tap so I could get the tank off but there is no screw inside the petrol tap to unscrew and get off. What is the best way to replace this because I can't think of any way to get the old tap off without that screw.

Second issue is that my fuel tank leaks even though I change the tap too off, I did manage to get the tank off without removing the fuel tap but it was leaking and I am thinking it is the seals but I can't get it off to change the seals because I can't get the tap off.
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Re: Fuel Tap Leak & Screw Issue

Post by Ewetea »

If the screw is not there, then the black plastic control switch should pull off. If it doesn't, then I suspect that the screw is there, but rusted sufficiently to be invisible. Shine a torch down the recess and examine carefully - if it is not there, then you should be able to see the internal thread in the tap. There is also the possibility that the screw is there, but the phillips head has been chewed such that a screwdriver will not engage it. In that case you will have to use a drill to take the head off, which will allow the control switch to be pulled off. The remaining thread can then be removed by gripping firmly with a pair of pliers and rotating anti-clockwise. It is a possibility that the previous owner tried to repair the leak and gave up when the screw rounded. If these options fail, then break the plastic assembly to access the tap and source a new one. Since you don't yet know what is wrong with the tap, it might be worth just replacing it with a decent one.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

ive got a spare fuel tap, minus the black bit. and you said " take off the petrol tap so I could get the tank off" don't know if this was a mistake but you should be able to just take the pipe off to get the tank off, that's how I do it, and with my fuelling the tank comes off a lot! looking into getting quick release fuel pipe connectors
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

Ewetea wrote:If the screw is not there, then the black plastic control switch should pull off. If it doesn't, then I suspect that the screw is there, but rusted sufficiently to be invisible. Shine a torch down the recess and examine carefully - if it is not there, then you should be able to see the internal thread in the tap. There is also the possibility that the screw is there, but the phillips head has been chewed such that a screwdriver will not engage it. In that case you will have to use a drill to take the head off, which will allow the control switch to be pulled off. The remaining thread can then be removed by gripping firmly with a pair of pliers and rotating anti-clockwise. It is a possibility that the previous owner tried to repair the leak and gave up when the screw rounded. If these options fail, then break the plastic assembly to access the tap and source a new one. Since you don't yet know what is wrong with the tap, it might be worth just replacing it with a decent one.
is what an answer looks like :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

anyone ever used these?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.d ... tAodVhYADA

its not too much of a chore getting the pipe off, but mine is starting to deteriorate right at the end, want to get some nicer braided hose, jubilee clips and the couplers. should be easy to remove everything after. And no leaking petrol :excited
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

ross46 wrote:anyone ever used these?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.d ... tAodVhYADA

Yes
not that exact one but something very similar.
I've seen them on race bikes with no tap at all
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

are they good to have? is there a better, more reliable brand? had a look at a few online but personal reviews are more useful
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

It handy for getting the tank on or off quickly but I'm not aware of how good particular make is or isn't

I reasonably sure you'll find something at a better price than demon tweeks......................I don't much rate them at all
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

No me neither, they send me their magazines which are good to flick through but they're always stupidly expensive
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

FIM accredited staubli will sell you 1 quick connector set (male + female) for £180 shipped...

http://www.staubli.com/en/connectors/qu ... lines-spt/
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

I doubt I'll be on a gp grid quite yet, when I do, I'll know where to go! :pmsl and to the original poster, did you sort the problem out?