Bike running strangely?? Help!!?

Moderator: Moderators

JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Bike running strangely?? Help!!?

Post by JamieNeve »

Hi Guys,

Basically my bike's been running fine lately but I thought that the valve clearances could do with checking as they hadn't been in a while, so today I took apart the bike and checked them (they were within the correct values.)

However I have now got my bike back in one piece and it is running very strangely. When I start it, it revvs loudly but unless I hold the revs with the throttle it dies. When I'm riding along and pull in the clutch to shift gear the revs shoot up, howevrr when i'm in gear and release the throttle, the revs just dip and the engine cuts out.

I have no idea what this is, but assume it is a problem with the carb as it was pretty much the only thing I removed today, but don't know what it could be as I stuffed the funnels and inlets with paper towels to stop them filling with crap!

Any ideas? It's fairly urgent as I need it for work!

Thanks,

Jamie
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Bike running strangely?? Help!!?

Post by ross46 »

choke cable? air leak? check everything is where it should be. be methodical, one thing at a time, check the choke cable is in and seated correctly and not getting stuck. check the throttle cables are in correctly and check that the airbox is sealed properly as with the intake rubbers, give it a spray with wd40 or carb cleaner and see if the revs change, if they do, its an air leak, as a temporary fix if you have an air leak, put some silicone on to stop it, hope this helps, and are you sure all the valves, shims and rockers are back as they should be and that the coils and ht leads havent got a problem? i once put my coils back on after some work and ht lead 1 was arcing across to the rocker cover, so i had a zxr triple :pmsl hope this helps, if not just post back, ross
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

so bike was running fine before you took it apart and then after you put it back together it runs strange...........................I'd recheck your work if I was you.

The old adage of don't fix it if its not broken come to mind
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Just finished work and heading into my garage now, will let you know! Thanks alot Ross! :)
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Okay, been looking at it and here goes- both coils are wired in fine, it's running better now but still strangely-

All four pipes are hot so I guess it's not to do with the coils/plugs.

When reving, the bike seems to rev slightly more than it should, but then dips down and idles normally, which makes me think it must be a leak? Where do you think will be leaking, I removed the carb rubbers yesterday as I wanted a closer look at my restrictors, but I put them back how they were originally, so don't see why it would be here

Thanks for your help :)
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Yeah just sprayed with gt85 and the revs rise slightly, leaky rubbers?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

yep, did you put sealant back on the restricotrs? there is only an o ring on the inlet rubber side not on the head, try putting a smear of silicon on them to get them to seal and check the condition of the o-rings
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Running smooth as ever now, thanks a bunch Ross! Covered everthing in Blue silicon burning off?

Just one slight worry.. When I stopped there was smoke rising from under the airbox, I guess this is just some of the excess silicon/gt85 burning off?

Cheers!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

yeah that will be, you'll have got it on the engine and as it heats up it will burn it off, like if you cover your exhaust with wd40, for other people on here was it your restrictors or inlet rubbers or something else? where was the leak? helps other people then looking at this thread
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

It could be both, I smothered everything with silicon- under the restrictors, between restrictors and metal bracke/ bottom of rubbers, between rubbers and carb!

Thanks again!
GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Post by GibboN »

cargo wrote:The old adage of don't fix it if its not broken come to mind
If it's not broken don't fix it came to my mind aswell. Still, live and learn and all that.