Air filter blow back?

Moderator: Moderators

KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Re: Air filter blow back?

Post by KwakKwak »

Took the bike out for a run today, can barely move, but it was a nice dry day, bike is definitely running lean, the revs are hanging on 2000 before returning to idle, strangely was not doing this a week ago :smt017 , bike seems to change its habits sitting in the garage.
I am currently running the carbs on 90 jets, pilots 1and3/4 turns out and floats at 11mm, all standard, 90 jets are an option.
Pipes are s/s with a Scorpion end can.
Plan is to put in 95 jets but leave the pilots at 1and 3/4 out, I assume this should richen her a tad, I don't think bike is overly lean, any suggestions?
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Got some 95's here if you want them
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Already got 95s, Ta Ross. Trying to figure out why bike seems so inconsistent. Can't see that its an air leak causing the revs to hang, as I've replaced all air filter gaskets, all O rings, carb holder O rings too. Bike goes like a train from low revs, which would suggest running lean, along with the revs hanging, strange thing is everytime I tried to add some choke to the idle as they hung on 2000, just as I went for the choke they would drop back to 1400.
I had a feeling one of the floats was sticking, but this would surely make the bike run like crap.
Maybe the 95s will cure all.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

You balanced the carbs? I've just spent 3 hours trying to get my bike to work with a set of carbs ive completely rebuilt, I turned it on and it was revving to 7k, finally I looked and saw 2 of the butterflies weren't closed, with the idle screw not touching at all, had to get all the butterflies closed first then wind the idle all the way in
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Revving to 7k must have startled you, and yes I balanced the carbs, afterwards realised the Morgan instructions recommend upping the idle whilst balancing, I assume it gives a more consistent reading, have just installed the 95s so will up the idle when balancing them again and see if it makes things less sensitive.
May have made a huge cock up though, when refitting the throttle cables to the carbs I could not find the small screw for the holder, so I have to do a complete search of the garage, fine tooth comb job, if it doesn't turn up, I have to assume it has dropped into the cylinder inlet, no way am I starting the bike until I find that screw, seriously peeved :smt012 , no matter how hard I try to retrace what I did with it, just total blank, fookin ell!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Get a magnet and put it down the inlets, or in the cylinder down spark plug hole, and yeah, you want the bike to be at about 4k, will create more of a vacuum difference im assuming, and scared the toad out of me, wound the idle out, it dropped into my hand and was still doing it, then I really panicked, played with the idle screws, checked the inlet rubbers, no problem, then lifted up the slides to check they moved properly and saw it, you want the butterflies to be completely closed without the idle touching, then attach the idle and balance
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Ordered some magnets etc last night, never been into this engine that far so cannot picture where or how far the screw could go, but if I don't find it on my CSI garage search or with the magnet, time to get to know my engine.
I'm pretty sure my garage or this bike is haunted, I've had a few strange episodes, drives one up the wall.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

IF and it's a big IF that screw has dropped into the inlet it is more than likely to be just sitting there on top of the valves a magnet will fetch it out.

However search in and around the engine generally....................look under the starter motor or in the gap between clutch casing and ignition rotor cover.
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

cargo wrote:IF and it's a big IF that screw has dropped into the inlet it is more than likely to be just sitting there on top of the valves a magnet will fetch it out.

However search in and around the engine generally....................look under the starter motor or in the gap between clutch casing and ignition rotor cover.
Still searching around the engine, gap at clutch cover was my great white hope, but no luck yet, doing this in installments as my back is fookin killin' me, if all fails and engine needs stripped I may need to start a sponsorship deal with you, send me a qoute.
You got an excellent day for fun yesterday.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Sounds like you might need a present from my cupboard if your backs that bad :P take your pick; codeine, tramadol, morphine, oxycodone, diclofenac, diazepam, the list goes on... :pmsl but I know that feeling all too well, just swapped my main jets over, dj100's (about the same as 102 Keihin jets) and it flies, though its killed the clutch :pmsl
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

No Gabapentin????????, my wife has a cupboard similar to yours, tells me I couldn't handle most of this gear, basically I would be :smt015, too easy to make silly mistakes when the old back is sore.
Why is it when the bike is flying you just know somethings wrong :pmsl
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

That aswell, and the clutch was slipping a bit before, the extra power has screwed it up more, known ive needed to do it for a while, just haven't had the money
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

10th and 12th and a new personal best lap for the international circuit at Bishopscourt.....................not bad for a fat old guy.

I'll make time today (Monday) and help with the screw search
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

cargo wrote:10th and 12th and a new personal best lap for the international circuit at Bishopscourt.....................not bad for a fat old guy.

I'll make time today (Monday) and help with the screw search
Come on now, you're not fat :pmsl

Defo appreciate the help, only if you have time, searched the garage, no trace, starting to look like it is in the bike, still waiting on my magnets arriving.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I'll call round in the morning..............11ish ?

I should have a magnet with me