ZXR H problem starting

Moderator: Moderators

amcchris21
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 H

ZXR H problem starting

Post by amcchris21 »

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone on here can help me as I am having trouble getting my ZXR 400 H to start at all. It all started the other day when I went down to start her up, just to keep everything ticking over while she not being riden, she started fine and ran like a dream. After I had warmed her up for about 10 mins I turned her off and preceeded to replace my fuel tank cap with a new one, this next bit i'm not proud of, I managed to drop a bolt into the fuel tank, I know 'tit'! I then drained the fuel out and took the tank off to get the bolt out and about 20 mins later I got it out again. I then put the tank back on again and filled her back up with fuel, but when I tried to start her I had no joy. I then took the tank off again checked the fuel cock that was draining fine, then for any vacum pipes I might have missed and couldn't see anything, but still no luck she wouldn't start. After I moment of swearing I decided to take all the fuel lines off upto the t-piece going in the carbs. I blew through all of them, checked the filter and pump and all seem to be clear and fine, but again no luck she won't start. Just as I precaution I tested the HT leads and they are all sparking so I know its not the coils and leads.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong as I'm a bit lost now? Any light you can shed on the situation would be greatly appreciated and would save me a trip to the workshop.

Cheers

Chris
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: ZXR H problem starting

Post by banner001 »

you need fuel in all the lines really, so reconnect it all and press the starter for 2-3 seconds, give it a few seconds to cool down and hit it again. you will pull fuel into the bowls and it will fire up, might backfire if its fuel heavy in the cylinders and it will be loud :D

and dont fire it up if your not using it. if you cant ride it, do the decent thing and "store" it. battery on optimiser, drain all fuel from float bowls, lines, and tank and then it will be good for when you can ride it...all you are doing at the moment is generating condensation inside the engine as it wont be getting hot enough...and oil and water dont mix...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003