fuel not getting through?

Moderator: Moderators

tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

fuel not getting through?

Post by tobomoto »

hey all just needed a bit of help on my bike. i just tried starting my zxr and it was leaking fuel whenever i pressed the starter button. i took the tank off in case any fuel lines were loose but they seemed fine. there did seem to be some fuel around the carb breathers though. i was wondering if its just a case of the carbs need cleaning? it gave a MAHOOSIVE backfire almost as loud as a gunshot if thats any help. cheers all.
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: fuel not getting through?

Post by banner001 »

if you have fuel leaking out of the overflows then its not a "fuel getting through" problem, you are flooding your carbs. you will need to remove them and reset the float heights, they should be 11mm, i suspect yours will be bigger, 13+mm.

either that, or you have a problem with the fuel float needles that one or more are damaged and are not sealing properly. either way, you gotta remove the carbs.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

Bugger. Not what i wanted to hear really. I thought they might be gunked up as they havent been used in a few years. Another job for the bike shop to do then i guess. Cheers for the help.
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Its not difficult to clean and set up your carbs, I took all the pictures for a guide but need to make a photobucket account