Possible Fuel/Carb problem

Moderator: Moderators

M0rd3kaI
My Bike: 1996 Kawasaki ZXR-400

Possible Fuel/Carb problem

Post by M0rd3kaI »

HI, I got a Stock-Standard '96 ZXR400 not too long ago and had a few minor problems before (All related to the battery/electrics) few days ago I took a roadtrip and got a good 70+ km on the clock in this trip, then lost power, clutch in to gear down and revs died, bike was Dead in the water, released the clutch and it revived itself, but died as soon as we got to a standstill on the shoulder of the road.

This after running fine for a good few days and doing a good few km's per day.

Now, I have 2 hypotheses on why this happened, but I would really appreciate any help whatsoever on this regard.

1) Rectifier/electrics. It might be a problem with something along the Electronics line, but also doubt it, because it worked fine and then all of a sudden just died, lights still on, starter swings, it just doesn't turn over.

2) (and likely the problem the more I think of it) it was an imported bike to South Africa and has never had to be turned to reserve tank so far. I rode it to see how far I can stretch a tank and turned it to reserve when I initially thought it ran out. Could it be that a little chunk of dirt or rust (Tank is pretty crappy looking inside) got into the fuel filter/carbs/valves and choked the engine that way? Would explain why there is petrol, but no acceleration when she broke down on me.

If I'm overlooking something (Going to try and get her checked out tomorrow) please let me know and explain to a complete noob with mechanics. I mean I can strip the bike down and put her back together given the proper tools (Torque wrench and elbow grease) and if I really had to, but that is useless if I don't know what I'm looking for and if I don't know what it should look like even when it is squeaky clean and working like a charm.

Please, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kai
I got bored on my ZXR-400 for a while on the straights...

Until I realised the speedo was reading on the better side of the 180 cut-off...
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Possible Fuel/Carb problem

Post by CaNsA »

IS there any fuel in the tank?
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
M0rd3kaI

Post by M0rd3kaI »

Yes, little, but enough, more than I used to have in it on other occasions and the fuel flow is not in the 'off' position...

Until I realised the speedo was reading on the better side of the 180 cut-off...
skinnydog0_0
My Bike: Speedfight 100

Post by skinnydog0_0 »

Check the main 30A fuse by the starter solenoid, i had similar issues with my RVF, turned out to be as you first suspected "faulty reg/rec" It also fried my battery so had to get a new one of those too.
M0rd3kaI

Post by M0rd3kaI »

Thanks, but it was the fuel pump all along... pump is shot, replaced, runs like a dream again.