Not firing!

Moderator: Moderators

derick77
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Not firing!

Post by derick77 »

Hey people!

I've got myself a 1989 ZXR400, chuffed to bits with it for my first bike, but hit a snag.

As I don't own my licence yet, I tend to start it up 4-5 times a week and let it run for a bit. Now it started fine this morning but when I went to start it tonight all I get is starter motor noise and no life! it won't fire up, had never had any problems in the 2 weeks of owning the bike, never missed a beat when starting it before.

Now, it has fuel in it and is set to main tank, not reserve, the killswitch is on the run position and I get a slight backfire 3-4 seconds after attempting to start it up.

It has also been raining heavily where I live, but it is under a cover. I don't know what to do or where to start from.

Any tips/advice for me? cheers all.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Not firing!

Post by ross46 »

If its been working before then the carbs will be set fine, id check that you have a spark, and that water hasn't got into the tank and therfore into the gloat bowls, might also be a good idea to get someone to take it out for a bit and clean the engine out, bikes dont like being idled over and over again
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

Your battery is probably flat particularly if it's left outside and keeps getting started and not ridden as the battery ain't going to recharge.
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

I'm with Bendog. Make sure your battery is charged to the max. With all the tuning I'm doing at the moment I realized that even if the battery reads 12.55 volts it will NOT start.
derick77
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Post by derick77 »

It's all good now, took the seat off and the battery wasnt fully fastend!

Thanks for the reply though!