Dies when idle, works fine without air filter

Moderator: Moderators

noel
My Bike: zxr 400 L

Dies when idle, works fine without air filter

Post by noel »

Hi guys,

I bought a zxr400 L1 a few weeks ago, but I can't get the bike running. I changed the fuel pump, cleaned the carbs and air filter, changed spark plugs, and now the engine dies if the air filter is in. So definitively, the mix is too rich. I set the air screw from 1.5 to 2.5, but still not working. Again, If I remove the air filter, the engine just works fine. My mechanics does not have any idea on what's going on...

Any idea?

Thanks!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Dies when idle, works fine without air filter

Post by ross46 »

Is the airfilter clean? I cleaned my k&n and then over oiled it, other possible cause is that the air jet is blocked, take off the plate the airbox mounts onto and check that none of the 3 jets are blocked, I had some silicon that I used to seal the airbox drop in, took me 3 days to sort it
adamm1704
My Bike: Zxr400 H1

Post by adamm1704 »

This happened to mine as i was rebuilding it. All i did was take the air box completely off and let it idle up to temperature then gave it some good revs up to near the redline, put the airbox back on and it worked fine. might just have some blockage somewhere.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Also try riding it, my bike would idle like a dream when I had the air jets blocked but as soon as I took it out it wouldn't run properly
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

I'm busy tuning my carbs after a mechanic screwed it up and I run into that situation once in a while. Make sure your float levels and pilot screws are set correctly. Mine dies when its too rich on either of them.