Fuel/air?

Moderator: Moderators

Striton87
My Bike: 1990 kawasaki zxr 400

Fuel/air?

Post by Striton87 »

Im not sure if this is in the right spot but ive been having problems with my bike starting but I have noticed if I take the hose going from the fuel selector (off fuel and res) going to the fuel pump to see if the fuel is flowing when I select one ( which it is) I noticed that when I put the lines back on and start my bike it starts and then back to the same thing with it not starting. it sounds like it wants to turn over with the choke all the way one but it simply wont turn over. any guesses what the problem might be? :smt017
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Fuel/air?

Post by banner001 »

sounds like you might have a blockage in the fuel tank breather hose...is this is blocked you will create a vacuum in the tank that works against the fuel pump basically making the fuel pump not work...hence bike runs ok with the fuel in the lines, but when you hook up the fuel tank it dies quickly.

it doesnt take much vacuum to stop the fuel pump.

the breather hose is located on the RHS of the tank, take it off and see if you can blow through it, if not its blocked.

if its clear, then you might have a blockage in the top of the fuel filter cap...i cant remember exactly where it is, and you might need to remove the filter cap, but there will be a hole in the top of the tank, this will go to where the breather hose connects, try to blow air through where the breather hose connects and see if you can feel that air coming through any of the holes...you can then give it a bit of a clean with solvent...should be good after that.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Striton87
My Bike: 1990 kawasaki zxr 400

Re: Fuel/air?

Post by Striton87 »

Ok the problem turned out to be this crappy fuel pump. any idea where I can get one for my bike online?