L2 Idling Problems

Moderator: Moderators

tgal7032
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

L2 Idling Problems

Post by tgal7032 »

Hi everyone,

I picked up my 92 bike yesterday, the previous owner told me from the off that it had problems running on 3 cylinders in the rain, only when idling and I would need to keep blipping the throttle. He said it was because the bike had non genuine (ngk) plug caps that were letting water in, and when the bike was above idle it was making a stronger spark (dafuq?) and wouldn't have a problem. I rode it off with the idle set to about 4000, got to a mate's and we took the airbox off, the plug caps were fine, plugs were also fine.

When I went to leave for home it did the same thing (revs going erratic and running on 3 on and off), his theory was bullocks anyway but the fact that the engine was completely dry disproved it completely. When the revs go erratic, sometimes it is OK but if it cuts out it takes a bit of cranking and usually a couple of backfires before it starts up again properly. As this only happens on idle, my mate believes it's gonna be one of the pilot jets or screws, so I imagine I should check the screws, is 2 1/2 turns out correct? If not that should I try cleaning out the pilot jet/carbs overall? My usually method is warm the bike up, pour carb cleaner/redex down the intakes without letting it die, until the white smoke has gone.

If not this, is there anything else I should try? The carb balance sounds fine but am I missing something obvious or a common ZXR fault? Apart from this I'm loving the bike, just need to get this niggle sorted :)

Thanks in advance
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: L2 Idling Problems

Post by RedexRobB »

It could be a dodgy plug. Itll be worth replacing the set as you dont know how old they are. Did u get the plugs out for a clean and set the gaps?
tgal7032

Post by tgal7032 »

Took it for a little ride earlier, half way it lost power and died when I pulled the clutch it at a junction, let it cool down then took ages to start again, on the way back was running like a sack of toad and would cut out unless I kept the revs up, not sure what to do, but I'll change the sparks in a bit, as it only seems to happen when it's hot.
tgal7032

Post by tgal7032 »

Just changed the plugs, still running funny and won't idle. It won't start at all without a lot of choke, and if it gets below about 3k it just dies, and then takes ages to restart. I've been told to look at the pilot screws, but I can't find anything about setting them in the manual, does anyone know what I should set it too?
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

Just checked my 'L' model manual, screws should be set to 1 3/4 turns out. That could well be your problem if it takes loads of choke to start as well