drain coolant to strip carbs?

Moderator: Moderators

anakin40
My Bike: zxr400 l4

drain coolant to strip carbs?

Post by anakin40 »

Hi, just got a 94 uk model. was wondering if i have to drain the coolant before i can remove the carbs, read that mine are heated
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Re: drain coolant to strip carbs?

Post by CrazyChris »

I highly doubt it dude. Never heard of heated carbs. I would say just strip them off. oldman
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Zxrs in the cooler climes are heated to prevent carb icing. You could empty the coolong system but i would just clamp the oipes at each end and disconnect.
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

Damn ok. Now that is something I would not have thought about. Thanks for the info. Now I can impress the guys at the pub. Hehehe
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

i rerouted my carb heater pipes and the bike is fine, runs fine in all weathers...well its good for -6 to 30C at least :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Columbo
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by Columbo »

banner001 wrote:i rerouted my carb heater pipes and the bike is fine, runs fine in all weathers...well its good for -6 to 30C at least :D
You wouldn't notice a difference.
Chemically speaking, heating atoms gives them more energy.
More energy means easier reaction.
Easier reaction means more complete burn.

If you want a fraction of a percentage increase in performance, re-install the tubes ;P
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

not to sound too arsey, but i am a doctor of molecular biology, i perform organic chemistry synthesis reactions about once a month :D

also you are wrong with your assumption as you why the heating circuit is there, the carb heating circuit is to prevent carb icing, when humid cold air hits the venturi and experiences the decrease in pressure the temperature drops, if this drop in temperature is enough to freeze the water vapour it is possible to block up part of the venturi, the butterfly valves, or any number of mechanical parts associated with the carburettor. re-routing warm coolant to the carbs helps to mitigate against this carb icing, i have never had a problem with it, mainly as the atmospheric conditions are rarely in the right conditions for carb icing to occur, and also as i mainly use the bike for commuting i am frequently stopping, and as heat rises, the engine warms my carbs to some degree.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
anakin40

Post by anakin40 »

thanks for the replies, great help smiler
Columbo
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by Columbo »

banner001 wrote:not to sound too arsey, but i am a doctor of molecular biology, i perform organic chemistry synthesis reactions about once a month :D

also you are wrong with your assumption as you why the heating circuit is there, the carb heating circuit is to prevent carb icing, when humid cold air hits the venturi and experiences the decrease in pressure the temperature drops, if this drop in temperature is enough to freeze the water vapour it is possible to block up part of the venturi, the butterfly valves, or any number of mechanical parts associated with the carburettor. re-routing warm coolant to the carbs helps to mitigate against this carb icing, i have never had a problem with it, mainly as the atmospheric conditions are rarely in the right conditions for carb icing to occur, and also as i mainly use the bike for commuting i am frequently stopping, and as heat rises, the engine warms my carbs to some degree.
I know that's not WHY they're there, but it's probably making a ridiculously small difference.
anakin40

Post by anakin40 »

when i stripped them, the heating circuit was there but in a loop of its own, so had already been bypassed, made my life easier! biggrin