petrol help please

Moderator: Moderators

stonedoncalpol

petrol help please

Post by stonedoncalpol »

right os i have work damn soon so i dont have time to open it up and sort this out now but hopefully soemoen can help for whne i get back. i got up thismorning and saw that my bike hass pissed petrol all over the road, its coming out of a nipple on the back botom right of the tank. wtf should be on here? and what would suddenyl cause it to do this?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

thats the breather mate, there should be a pipe comes off it and runs down the back of the engine between the swinger and frame, sounds like you have overfilled it or if i remember right theres a little hole in the filler that could be blocked and pressure has built up inside the tank. take the cap off and see if it hisses, probably wont notice now if the tank has drained itself completely?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
stonedoncalpol

Post by stonedoncalpol »

i took the cap off but petrols still cam out. pssht.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

has it stopped leaking from the back?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
stonedoncalpol

Post by stonedoncalpol »

no got the tank of and it jsut pisses ot that hole wahtever.
stonedoncalpol

Post by stonedoncalpol »

update: right ive solved it now but heres the deal. the pipe was simply an overflow that runs from a hole underneath the rubbery bit at the op of the tank to the bottom left. this is somehwehr borken allowing petrol out bottom. when i blocked the bottom up petrol came out the top of this hole if i left the potrol cap shut and pissed out the top of my tank. to solve this i took the cap off and removed the first orange valve you will see. this has now stopped petrol leaking out the top. so there we go problem solved, if ya get the same thing pm me or emila me or some toad il explain it better.
speed e freak

Post by speed e freak »

Poor bugger.
Me too, read on.
I've only had my zxr since january (bought on ebay, never again!), not really used it yet except taking it for an mot. I noticed then that it wouldn't rev past 10k. made mental note to check fuel filter and fuel flow.
Couple of weeks later, went to try bike out, wouldn't start, so off with tank, hmm, fuel can't be shut off, but is only coming out slowly. Fuel tap knackered, not too concerned about that, i'll just drain the tank through it. Remove overflow pipe from back of tank, and fuel slowly dribbles from this even though it's only half full. Lower overflow pipe must be blocked, so put it back on to stop fuel coming from both exits.
An hour later fuel is still slowly dribbling from the tap, and yes, the cap is open.
Remove complete fuel tap, out comes a gallon of raw sewage, most of which i managed to catch in a container, the rest soaked into my clothes - make mental note to keep away from smokers and children with boxes of matches!
The manky crap in the can settled into 2 layers, bottom 1/4 of it was obviously water and a lot of what was once the inside of my fuel tank. Drain carbs and fuel pump, yup full of water.
Cleaned tank out as best i could, cleaned and replaced tap, unblocked vent hose, reassembled it all, poured in half a gallon of fresh juice, and it slowly dribbled onto the floor again.
So, are zxr's common for the internal vent pipe rotting away, as this is the only reason i can think of for fuel finding it's way out of the rear vent when there's only half a gallon in there. I can block the top of the vent off by the fuel filler, an easily blow through the rear vent.
And does anyone have a brainwave for fixing it, short of a new tank?

Cheers

Graham
richie400ss
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by richie400ss »

wanna a buy a tank?
speed e freak

Post by speed e freak »

how much, what colour, does it have a working fuel tap, and is it guaranteed not to have the above problem!! :smt003
richie400ss
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by richie400ss »

£50 inc p&p. i have a fuel tap you can have, but rubber seal is perished (between tank and tap available from kawasaki for a couple of quid) no cap.

in green and white with zxr logo. excellent but used condition. no dents or scratches.

by the way it is for an L model

NO problems with this tank or your money back guaranteed.

0191 4139932