zxr400L with flatslide carbs tuning issues

Moderator: Moderators

superman1
My Bike: zxr400L

zxr400L with flatslide carbs tuning issues

Post by superman1 »

Hey there. I have a zxr4ooL model which ive rebuilt from the ground up. It all looks standard with the flatslides. Took it to a workshop to balance the carbs but got it back a non-runner. problem is the throttle pump nozzles spray all the time now and not only when throttle is openned. so it floods all the time. My carbs have a throttle position sensor, could that be faulty? Ive blocked the pipes that supply the throttle pump off now and it runs, but what a bugger to ride like that at half throttle all the time. if i open the gas too much it stalls, so i need the throttle pumps to work. The bike also has hot starting problems, could this be from the carbs aswell? Im hoping so. once i can sort this pumping issue, i can take my bike in for balancing, unless there is a way i can do this at home. Please give me advice as many people have said i should get rid of the flatslides but i dont want to really. What should be my next step, im pulling what little hair i have left out right now. hope i posted correctly, ive never used a forum before. If need be, i can send some pics of the carbs, bike ect. Thanks in advance.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: zxr400L with flatslide carbs tuning issues

Post by RedexRobB »

If it was working before you handed it over to be balanced take it back and let them deal with it at thier cost.

Theres some sense in using carbs, i think flat slides tend to be better for racing and not so much road use.
superman1

Post by superman1 »

Thanks for the reply bud. The carbs were working before i took the bike to the shop. They have since said they dont actually work on 400L's coz they are grey imports. They also blamed the piston rings for bieng shot, fat chance, no smoke or fouled plugs. I will try set float levels and manually balance the slides useing a feeler guage. If that doesnt work i will try get a standard set of carbs to try out. Will i have to change the cdi aswell? Thanx again
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Not sure about the cdi. I would have thougt so. Flatslides came with the sp models and i know they run different cdis to the h and l models.

And if the garage didnt work on zxrs tgen why did tgey do the work? They messed it up and they know it. Let us know how you get on.
superman1

Post by superman1 »

hey there. There is a chance that i can purchase an accident damaged zxr400. The engine still runs sweet and it has standard carbs. The carbs had just been serviced with new needle and seats ect. Thinking of trying them on my motor. Bonus is i will then have plenty spare goodies like cdi, ignition coils, lights, radiator ect. Need to go make the guy an offer. Should know by next week. Cheers.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

hot starting issues could be 2 things

Battery is shot
RegRec is dead

and usually the battery is shot because your night riding and the reg rec cant help the battery! lol

as for the carbs take it back to the shop, they cant be saying that the carbs don't work on a grey import ... if you think about it all bikes are imports! the only thing that makes the bikes difference in theory are the electrics - the CDI and Lights mostly! seriously take it back to them and tell them to sort it when they have made it worse