Bike running issues

Moderator: Moderators

adamhearn
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Bike running issues

Post by adamhearn »

Thanks again for your reply.

IIRC the mixture screws were 2 (ish) turns out before. I thought I should at least start with a manual led setting before "tweaking". Just to be sure, when you say back off you mean unscrew it further and that would make the bike run leaner than currently?

I'm fairly certain that I'm getting to stage where my skills are lacking and those dyno guys you suggested would be the ticket! I'll certainly have a go however!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

adamhearn wrote:Just to be sure, when you say back off you mean unscrew it further and that would make the bike run leaner than currently?
thats correct :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
adamhearn

Post by adamhearn »

Thanks for the confirmation. Will take a look during the week and report back progress!
adamhearn

Post by adamhearn »

Carbs balanced last night and the air filter oil spray arrived today so I was able to put it back together tonight and take it out for a 20 mile run. First off it's running the best it's done for a while but not quite right still :(

I put the mixture screws to 2 turns each [as accurately as I could given I was try to adjust with a small screwdriver whilst the carbs were on the bike].

At idle it seems OK but then I'm comparing against it being really bad ;) Opening the throttle reasonably quickly can make it bog down a bit. Riding at low revs it's got a different sound - sort off deep sounding; it isn't very crisp to rev when riding. At 6K onwards it wakes up and flies. 10K onwards it has some issues - flat spot and hesitant in places. I could red-line it lower gears but it wasn't that smooth to be honest. I didn't have any road to try out higher gears.

Thoughts please!