Oil leaking from carbs...?

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Oil leaking from carbs...?

Post by banner001 »

Hi guys, every so often i seem to have engine oil leaking from where my plastic airbox meets the metal plate on top of the carbs. This then drips onto the left hand frame on the inside, and it sometimes makes its way down onto the gear shift which then gets slightly slippy.

I have noticed that the metal plate on top of the carbs has a seal embedded into a recess...i assume that the airbox fits into this recess and makes a seal...i think this is where my problem lies, i dont think my airbox is sealing properly. It seems to be raised away from the metal plate by ~2mm, also some of the plastic on the airbox looks to have warped slightly so again i dont think it is making a proper seal...does this all sound plausible? Its in a difficult area to really ascertain what is going on.

Also the seal that is in the metal plate ontop of the carbs is quite soaked in oil, this will need replacing...but does that much oil really get up into the airbox??

So my question is, should the airbox seal into the metal plate on top of the carbs and be perfectly flush and in contact with the metal all the way around, or does it "stick up" slightly? (i know what i think...i just want to confirm my guess).

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Oil leaking from carbs...?

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah it does happen, the airbox warps from heat. Not sure if theres a fix for it other than another box. Might explain the dyno chart and lack of top end actually?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Oil leaking from carbs...?

Post by banner001 »

Yeah i was thinking that, so it should be flush to the metal? Ebay hear i come! If i take the airbox off tomorow i will take a pic of it, it is fair warped, might even try to heat straighten it out?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003