Fuel leak from tank/tap

Moderator: Moderators

Kloon
My Bike: ZXR 400 H2

Fuel leak from tank/tap

Post by Kloon »

Hello comrades,

I have a fuel leak coming from where the fuel tap meets the tank. I took the tank off and removed the tap, gave the tap a good clean. The bottom of the tank had filler on it! I used a grinder to clean all this up and applied a petro patch just to make sure there were no leaks coming from the tank and im confident this is the case. I cleaned the area where the tap meets the tank, replaced the bolts as somebody prior to me had used one bolt and one chrome countersunk screw!!! used new washers but still leaking. Today I took it apart again and made up two paper gaskets, put it back together and its 95% better but still leaking.

Admittedly, I have not replaced the rubber seal. I appreciate that this may sort it but I just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem and has any advice to share.

As always thanks in advance.
Cowards die many times in their lives but the valiant taste death only once.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Fuel leak from tank/tap

Post by Tirpitz »

I think you'll find with petrol that it will find its way past any bodge. Replace all the gaskets and seals with the correct OEM items and it should do the job.

My tap started leaking around the tap itself after the winter lay-up (tank drained). Tried a new slightly bodged o-ring of the wrong diameter - still leaking. Bit the bullet and ordered the OEM ring, job jobbed.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Kloon

Post by Kloon »

Yep, dont know why i was kidding myself to be honest, just ordered a set. Hope that will sort it. The bike was in a repair shop but I have had a nightmare with them, had for three months and just messed me about. Long story but an example to highlight there incompetence, I took the fairing off a few days ago and the radiator was not secured at all! just flapping about!!

Anyway thanks for the reply, I will post my result here when i get the kit.
Kloon

Post by Kloon »

Hello all,

Just to draw my problem to a close and to let anyone else know who is having similar difficulties. I replaced the rubber o ring, this did not work BUT that's because the leak was not coming from the tank/tap surfaces, although changing the o ring was of great benefit i'm sure. When i decided to strip it all back and have another look i discovered two MAHOOOSIVE holes!. How I missed them is beyond me, I think that when i was cleaning the area dust had got into these holes and disguised them. I have sealed these holes and now the leak has gone.

Admittedly I am an enthusiastic amateur so i'm pleased to learn form my mistakes :) i hope this encourages others to LOOK properly and take your time as this obvious problem was overlooked and caused me massive ballache :pmsl
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Nice one.

And well done for using a bit of common sense dude.
It rarely happens on here nowadays.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Just keep an eye on the area of the holes. Are they a result of corrosion? If so the tank is probably knackered and you would be as well keeping your eyes open for a replacement as this issue will return. Sitting in traffic with a hot engine is not the time to discover the leak is back and p*ssing unleaded onto the block shocking
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock