wont start

Moderator: Moderators

william42
My Bike: zxr400

wont start

Post by william42 »

got a zxr400 it has been stood a while drained tank cleaned plugs put new petrol in carbs are getting fuel when i press starter button fuel pumps out checked carbs there is fuel in carbs plugs are getting spark but bike still wont fire up there is one thing i did notice rubber stubs around carbs are very loose would this have anything to do with it not starting any help very gratefull
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: wont start

Post by RedexRobB »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Those stubs should have clamps around them, otherwise they could be leaking an awful lot of air in. That could be one of your issues,

Others might be gummed up jets if the bike has been stood for a number of years, or the battery may need a nice slow charge.

Have you got good sparks at the plugs?
william42

Post by william42 »

hi yes i have spark at the plugs there is clamps around the rubbers from carbs i have secured them i put some carb cleaner in the carbs through the fuel line i drained carbs first said i would leave it a day or two to let the carb cleaner work i am jump starting from a car battery i will let you know how i get on
william42

Bike started

Post by william42 »

hi had trouble starting bike heated the plugs and it fired up but when i stoped it it would not start again took out plugs again heated them again and it fired up again then again same story can anybody tell me is it fuel or plugs or and idea what it might be any help very gratefull as i need this bike to get to work
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Thread merged as there is no need for a new one.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Have you flushed out the carb cleaner? And are you trying to jump off the battery?

How do the plugs look when you take them out?
william42

Post by william42 »

Hi i flushed out carb cleaner i am jump starting from car battery the plugs look okay maybe a bit wet
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Have you set the gaps correctly for the plugs? I would expect them to be a bit wet especially after repeatedly trying to start it, fuel is clearly getting through. Seems to run ok once going. Are you trying it with choke? I usually try and start with half choke, if it doesnt grummble then full choke. Only other thing it might be is the plugs, could try a new set?
william42

Post by william42 »

I Have not set plug gaps will do today or might get new set when i try to start i put it on full choke i wll keep trying until i get it wont be able to get plugs until tuseday as everthing over here shuts down for easter weekend i will let you know how i get on anyway
william42

Post by william42 »

hi put new plugs in bike today flushed out carbs bike started no problem run great i am going to tidy it up some now new brake pads new battery new tyres have her on the road for summer again thanks for all the help every one
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Nice one and good man for coming back to let us know what the problem turned out to be and saying thanks.

For future ref, sparks at the plugs isn't really a good indicator of their condition, only that the ignition circuit is working. What will spark ok in the dry at atmospheric pressure often won't spark in a high pressure environment in a cylinder damp with fuel vapour.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock