K&N Air Filter - L air box

Moderator: Moderators

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

K&N Air Filter - L air box

Post by R P Corse »

after a lot of shopping around and asking various companies, the only one to give me a straight answer was PDQ1 in Slough, K&N stopped making these about 10yrs ago for the H models ... SO!

is it possible to fit L model air box to an H? will it clear the tank etc...
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: K&N Air Filter - L air box

Post by Tirpitz »

Why do you want to do this? It will not improve the running of your bike or give you more power. The K&N is less restrictive than the standard filter so your fuelling will end up way out, you will be running the bike way too lean, which will result in it running terribly, being down on power, and eventually lunching on the crowns of your pistons and valve seats. You need to also budget for some serious dyno time and having your carbs rejetted - just to get you back to where you were before you started messing about.

Waste of time, waste of effort, waste of money.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

thats fair shout, appreciate the info.

as you said the K&N is less restrictive, 1 of the reasons why i want one, happy to do the Dyno time to get fuelling sorted etc... but hey i see what you saying about waste of time etc... was interested in doing it thats all
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You can't cherry pick at it, the K&N is part of a package really. To make it worthwhile you need to be fitting an aftermarket exhaust (full system), carbs rejetted as well, then you will gain a bit of power. But even with this TBH you're not going to notice it off a racetrack. To get a noticeable gain you also need to throw in a mild tune. That's a lot of money - depends how much you want more power from a ZXR400. If you just want more power per se then it's much cheaper to simply get a bigger bike - say a ZXR750 - which will also give you more midrange (arguably more use on the road) than any tuned 400 will give you.

Depends what you want to do, but as I say, if you're going to do it go the whole hog, otherwise you'll get the worst of both worlds.

There's also the insurance angle as well. Any performance mod has to be declared and a lot of companies won't want to know you. It's often cheaper to insure a bigger, standard bike, than a tuned smaller one with less power :smt017
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

cheaper to buy a 600................................

I'm back
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Post by tobomoto »

i have a k and n in my bike but cleaning it is more hassle than a standard filter. you have to split the airbox to get the k and n out. i also have a full exhaust and have had some engine work done and had the fuelling sorted... :smt003
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...