Carb removal

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Carb removal

Post by Rasta-ninja »

Hey all, Im in the process of removing my carbs for the first time on his bike, im nealrly done, removed the choke line and the fuel hose, but i just cant seem to get the throttle and idle lines off. Theres a gold plate which screws them into the carbs, i thought maybe i need to remove this screw (and the plate) to get em off but the screw doesnt wana budge and i didnt wana force it. Do you need to get this plate off?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Carb removal

Post by RedexRobB »

If its the plate im thinking of then yes that screw should just undo. Alternatively, slacken off the throttle cables and remove that way.

You will also find they are an butt to get them out of the rubbers, just rock them back and forth and they will eventually come out ;)
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

sweet, i thought that was the case, its just there isnt much of a gap to fit the screwdriver in, and i didnt wana try tilting it at an angle in case i wore out the screw head. Ive loosened the lines as much as i can and they still wont pop out =/
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

In that case it might be worth loosening the carb clamps a bit so you can manouvre them to get to the screw. Alternatively see if you can remove the throttle assembly at the bars completely. In fact, at the end of the cable at the carb end, the cable should just pull out of that gold plate, shouldnt it?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Two options here

Simply remove the carbs from the rubbers with the cables still attached...............that will give you alll the access you need to get the screw out of the little gold plate.

Or give yourself some slack in the cable by opening the throttle and holding it open with your left hand while you disengage the cable from the carb with your right hand

I do find it very worrying when people need help with something as simple as disengaging a cable ..............................if you cant do the really basic simple stuff how do you expect to do anything to benefit your carbs once you get them off ? ? ?
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

And before anyone comes back with anything against cargo, he is right. Though we all know he doesn't always put it that diplomatically at times. Seriously, you need to ask yourself that if you've been stumped by a screw and cable, then do you really think taking apart intricate carbs is your forte? I know we all have to learn somewhere and that having a go is probably the best way. But mucking your carbs up is one of the easiest ways to muck up your bike.
So I have to ask the question. Why are you removing the carbs?
These things are sent to try us!!
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

i was far from stumped by a screw and cable, my issue was that i loosened up the throttle cables as much as i could and for some reason still couldn't get them out, and the screw didnt wana budge when i tried removing it. However after loosening the clamps i managed to pop the carbs out and manoeuvre them about to finally get the cables out :smt023 reason im removing carbs is cos i want to replace the jet needles, and give it a general clean. Previous owner had K+N jet needles installed and the bike was kinda neglected so i just wana put standards in and clean her up
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

Personally, i wouldn't put standards back in. Kawasaki made these bikes run rich, helps with emissions etc. if you took a completely standard bike to a dyno they would probably lean out the jets slightly to make it run better. If you have the money, I'd get it on a dyno.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I dont do diplomacy....................I like to call a spade a spade
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

I know, and i wouldn't change it, think more people should say it how it is
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Better not tell him I am struggling with my clutch cable then confuddled

:smt005
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

alright, ive taken everyones advice to not change the jets, but good job i decided to give it a clean. So much gunk in there! and one of the diaphragms is a little mis-shapen, not torn or anything though. Reckon its worth replacing?