K&N Air Filter Running problems

Moderator: Moderators

charlie zxr
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L9

K&N Air Filter Running problems

Post by charlie zxr »

hi, iv just put a k&n filter on and left the funnel out, and its running like a dog. does it just need the funnel or should i just put old one on but i like the fact its a k&n one. i think its just getting to much air rather than petrol and the mix is wrong but how can i change the carb balance with the airbox still on?
bike - Kawasaki ZXR400 L9 - turns blue at night
161 160
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: K&N Air Filter Running problems

Post by Tirpitz »

You cannot run the bike with the carbs as stock with a K&N filter on. The bike needs the full air box set-up and a foam filter to run correctly. The K&N filter is less restrictive than the foam OEM so your bike is running way too lean - if you continue to run it like this you'll hole a piston (or four). If you really insist on using a K&N you're going to need some dyno time and carb work to set the fuelling up right. If you get it set spot on you'll probably get it back up to the same sort of power you had with the foam filter on if you're lucky.

TBH they're a waste of money unless you're going to fit a K&N as part of a whole raft of serious tuning work. Save your money and your time. K&N filters don't make your bike go faster.

This viewtopic.php?f=168&t=13065 is with a stock set up. Perfect fuelling.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
charlie zxr
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L9

Post by charlie zxr »

i ran it for about 7 mins over a spread of two days and the old piperX is back on and its all good, iv always fancied one but they did no improvement
bike - Kawasaki ZXR400 L9 - turns blue at night
161 160
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

That's bizzare, is it not just K&Ns equal to the OEM filament :smt017

I shoved a K&N element into my GPz cause it didn't need replaced for 30K miles - same shape as original , said the dirtier it got the better it worked shocking

If he had said he removed the airbox and put K&N pods on I would understand the running lean part - you need a stage one tune kit

Never done this on a ZXR so if, your running standard airbox etc....... what did the K&N airfilter instructions tell you , you need to do ? This is not a fly by night company, they detail what changes you need to make to use their product confuddled

I am no fan of K&N , any good rolling road centre can set your bike up they are just the easy solution - and really ! THEY are.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

My understanding of the K&N filter is that it isn't a straight replacement for the OEM foam filter, it's meant to be fitted as part of further work which involves adjusting the fuelling to suit. They even say in their blurb that the filter is less restrictive than the OEM - which to me is a almost a guarantee that the bike is gonna run lean without some additional work.

As you say Mori, they are a serious company so I would expect the filter to come with some instructions.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock