Fuel Economy

Moderator: Moderators

humanoid1989
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400 h

Fuel Economy

Post by humanoid1989 »

Anyone have any ideas on how to get more range out of a tank of fuel?
Without riding around everywhere like a tart that is!!

Whats the normal (standard bike) fuel range- my old Honda CB400SF used to do 115 miles before i had to find a petrol station.
I did a trackday at Brands on my H1 and I was surprised to find id run out of fuel with the trip showing only 70 miles!
I know that i could save fuel and ride everywhere doing less than 6000 RPM, but thats a bit extreme isnt it? And boring!

Im skint these days and £15 for a full tank is getting costly for me believe it or not!
[color=#FF0000][b][i]"Quit your jibber jabber"[/i][/b][/color]
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by Mori Man »

Buy a Honda Jazz

Ah, you want to stick to two wheels - well any touring bike

Why on earth are you even considering saving fuel on a middleweight sports bike :smt017 They are there to have the tits thrashed off them - hence 110miles to reserve (or 70 on track)

I average about 150 total with a mix of riding but mostly heavy handed :smt003

:ffs

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L1/VT750C2B/VT600

Post by razzcolio »

humanoid1989 wrote: Im skint these days and £15 for a full tank is getting costly for me believe it or not!
bus tickets are cheaper
humanoid1989

Post by humanoid1989 »

Yeah, i know bit of a weird one- but i love my bike, i love riding it but i want to wring some more fuel out of it going to and from work.

I had considered a scooter for commuting on, but that would just be soul destroying!

And 70 miles on a track day came as a bit of a shock to me- but if it's normal, i'll be more prepared next time. More petrol money that is :pmsl
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You've got the wrong bike for commuting on, simples. No need to buy a scooter but something cheaper to run and more resistant to corrosion is a much better bet. Just keep spraying it up with WD40 all over, never wash it, and you'll find that although it looks like toad it won't rot. Keep your best bike for best.

Loads of cheap hacks out there and if they don't handle that well they are far from boring :smt003 Wouldn't dream of commuting on a ZXR, might as well ask your gaffer for a paycut.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L1/VT750C2B/VT600

Post by razzcolio »

Tirpitz wrote: Wouldn't dream of commuting on a ZXR, might as well ask your gaffer for a paycut.
i do 7-10 miles through london traffic on mine twice a day and its obv about a tank every week and half. or maybe two weeks dependant on how i drive.
which works out at £15 a week roughly....its £30 a week for a zone 1+2 travel card its easy to save money....

busses are cheaper but then i hate the buses and would rather eat my own poo....(busses would be about £20 a week aswel)
humanoid1989

Post by humanoid1989 »

Forget a scooter- £268 to insure it for me. The ZXR is £108 fully comp :pmsl

Thats a lot of petrol!

I've ridden like a tart the past few days, lets see if i can get some extra miles....... (just for the daily commute- then i'll wring her neck over the weekend!! Or she'll hate me)