flatside and CV too........ a problem solved

Moderator: Moderators

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

flatside and CV too........ a problem solved

Post by cargo »

I've been messing around with an old set of flatsides.............I got them ages ago from a bike that was a running but not well at all
Anyway I wanted all the goodies from it so it was broken and sold off bar the goodies..........including these carbs.
I've never touched them until recently and I think I might have found why the bike did not run well.
I'ts something I'm sure I've mentioned before but now I have a pic or two.
No amount of messing with float heights will fix this problem and as it's a cheap easy fix it might even be a good idea to just do this as a matter of course with a carb overhaul or service........and it might just save a lot of expensive dyno time.....................

Heres the inside of the float bowl

And here it is with the float and needle valve removed note the circled needle valve seat.

Remove the cross head screw and pull the seat out. If it's been there a long time and the carbs have been sitting dry it will be stuck

Here we have the needle seat removed note the little O ring this O ring can dry out and get brittle and hard and it will pass fuel thereby bypassing the needle valve carbs will flood and the result will be poor running.
Note also the is a fine mess filter on the seat this is the last line of defence so worth effort to check and clean it too

Allens performance will have the little O rings and the same issues can arise with CVs

Hope thats clear enough and useful
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: flatside and CV too........ a problem solved

Post by Mori Man »

Overhauling a set just now , these get whipped out and cleaned because of the mesh filter.

Your floatbowls are a better colour than mine though lol - new ones are bright white, the ones in these carbs are a burnt Red with the fuel additives used but guess they are 20yrs old.

If your having erratic tickover replace the O rings on the throttle valves

If revs hang or dont settle quick enough replace the top gasket on the caps, again over time they become brittle and cause air leaks.

New float bowl gaskets going on the ones I have then they will be up for sale.

Good find on solving a fuel leak Cargo :smt004

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

hijack

Soz to post up on your thread C ,

From your bottom photo the O ring can look pretty darn OK so why go to the bother of replacing them ?

Well, once off and given a stretch it can become apparent as to how fooked they are:
IMG_9363001.jpg
Don't know what you are paying for them other there but 66p (94 Yen) each:
IMG_9366002.jpg
From Kawasaki GBP 1.70 (262 Yen) shocking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

The o rings I took off those carbs were so dry and brittle that they all broke as I removed them totally wasted.

The invoice for the o rings I got from Allens is in the workshop and I'm supposed to be sleeping all day so I'll check out the price later...............my silence on the subject might just be a clue as to the price LOL
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking shocking

£1.84 each......................plus VAT and delivery