Cleaning out the fuel tank

Moderator: Moderators

bikenut
My Bike: ZXR 400 L5, YZF-R1

Cleaning out the fuel tank

Post by bikenut »

Hope to get the ZXR on the road by the end of June. Its been stuck in the garage since 2002.

What is the best way to clean out the fuel tank, i can see a few tiny rust specs inside?

Thanks.
kwackkev22
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Cleaning out the fuel tank

Post by kwackkev22 »

when i did mine i ran the tank right down so there was hardly any thing in it then drained whats left in to a jerry can

removed the tank from the bike and removed the fuel tap so theres just a hole in the bottom of the tank theres still going to be a few dreggs of petrol in here so be carefull with spillages

i had a bucket and just kept putting small amounts of petrol in the tank with my finger over the hole and just swilling the petrol around and emptying into the bucket you could see the orange rusty petrol and bits in the bucket when i had done :smt006

i just poored what bit of petrol i used from the bucket on the floor and burnt it off just be careful where you do this dont do it near any buildings

its worth cleaning the fuel tap as well as theres a gause in there that stops chunks of rust
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Cleaning out the fuel tank

Post by RedexRobB »

If its in the fuel its probably going to be in the fuel filter and carbs too. Id simply drain the carbs from the drain screws and replace the fuel filter.