Balancing carbs

Moderator: Moderators

Flood

Balancing carbs

Post by Flood »

Hi

Just wondering how to balance carbs on the ZXR. Is there any port where the carb balancer can be connected.

Help need to get it running smoothly again.

Cheers

Flood
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

aha! my speciality :D

They are peice of piss mate, all you do is warm the bike up and whip off the tank and airbox so that you can get to the carbs. Now, underneath the carbs are two pipes (in pics, one longer than the other), one connecting the two outer cylinders, and one connecting the two inner cylinders. All you do is take these off which will reveal 4 spigots (highlighted in yellow 1st link), then plug onto these the carb balancing hoses.

Then once you got those on simply adjust the balancing screws which are on the other side of the carbs (also highlighted 2nd link), you can do it with either a philips screwdriver or a socket. In hindsight id use the socket peice cos when using the screwdriver you have to press down on the screw which causes the bike to rev as it turns the throttle. There are 3 screws, now in order to balance them properly, adjust the two outer screws. The left screw brings cylinder 1 and 2 in synch, and the right on brings cylinder 3 and 4 in synch. You must now bring all four into synch by adjusting the middle screw. You also need not worry about what the vacuum is reading on the gauge, all you need to worry about is that they are all the same :)

Another peice of advice is to plug in the hoses so that they correspond to each cylinder. That way when the gauges are sitting there, you can see which gauge is reading which cylinder.

Hope that all helps and is all there, anything else just ask :)

Pics here of how i did mine :D

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/06/09/ ... 1-full.jpg
http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/06/09/ ... 2-full.jpg

P.S. you will be needing something to put the fuel in to feed the carbs, i managed by turning the tank the other way round and sitting it on a stool, but if you have something like an old expansion tank then that would be far safer :)