ZX10 complete front end forks

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

bobdewartal
My Bike: zxr l8

ZX10 complete front end forks

Post by bobdewartal »

hello peeps,

long time reader first time poster. Here is my question, we have all seen the sweet upgrade of the 636 forks, is it possible to replace the entire front suspension of my beloved ZXR400 with that of a ZX10. ie OEM front end/forks/axle/triple tree/calipers. thoughts, ideas, etc etc
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Re: ZX10 complete front end forks

Post by tobomoto »

was thinking that myself but i was also going to fit a carbon fibre zx 10r fairing and a lot of other trick bits. think ill keep the zxr as it is and see about a zx6r towards the end of the year and trick that up. hope things go ok for you! :smt003
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

you can do anything with a stem conversion, but buying an entire zx10 front end is gonna cost almost as much as a zxr itself

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

bobdewartal wrote:hello peeps,

long time reader first time poster. Here is my question, we have all seen the sweet upgrade of the 636 forks, is it possible to replace the entire front suspension of my beloved ZXR400 with that of a ZX10. ie OEM front end/forks/axle/triple tree/calipers. thoughts, ideas, etc etc
It'll all go in the ZXR400 triple trees. The ZX10r yoke offset is different, smaller and will thus give you more trail, therefore slowing down the steering making the bike feel more stable, But, although I'm not sure, I think the headstock bearings are the same size (they are on the ZX6r) so may just bolt straight in providing the stem is the same length. No speedo drive from front wheel though, and forks are 25mm longer.
bobdewartal

Post by bobdewartal »

"buying an entire zx10 front end is gonna cost almost as much as a zxr itself"

may be able to source one for the same price perhaps even cheaper that the 636 front end. yes I shall be keeping close o my chest until the front end is in my hands, you never know. :smt002

Now then Mr Ballsout. thanks for the supportive and informative reply. the ZXR costs me nothing now so am willing to try a few mods etc and cut my teeth in regards creating a monster to eat up the roads

"No speedo drive from front wheel though, and forks are 25mm longer"

Pardon my ignorance in this matter, will it be possible to run it to the back wheel/cable extension or what is the get out of jail fix. Can't see me in front of the lord chief justice with the defense , you see it is a ZX 10 front end and the forks are 25 mm longer.
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

:smt005

Right, no problem with the forks being longer, they just need to stick 25mm further up through the yokes than where you have your ZXR ones. Now, I'm not sure on ALL zx10 forks, but the 03/04 ones are waisted between the top and bottom yoke by 2mm, so, depending where you have your clipons, and how far through the yokes you have your forks, will depend whether you'll need a 1mm sleeve made up to get the clipons to clamp to, unless you can get some aftermarket 48mm hinged clipons.

As for the speedo, I really don't have a solution, I have no need for one on my race bike, modern bikes have electronic pickups somewhere I believe, so you could fit an electronic speedo, Otherwise it would be a case of trying to get a drive from the front spindle somehow, and I think that would be quite a headache. It's a question I keep getting asked when I explain how my ZX6r conversion worked, so if you work out how to do it, please let me know so that I can pass it on, Ta

Greville
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tobomoto »

what about a digital speedo unit thing? i believe deemon tweeks sell them but theyre not cheap which is what put me off- http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... =P/ESPD111
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

the quick fix is cycle speedo - baz may well be able to recommend which ones go fast enough for motorbikes.

it may not be too hard to retain the mechanical speedo drive, depending on which yokes you use and assuming you are keeping the ZXR4 front wheel. might just require a bit of cleverness to stop the outside bit rotating - I can't remember offhand what is on the ZXR forks to control the rotation.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tobomoto »

duct tape and cable ties!!
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Well yeah, if your going to try to use the 400 wheel, then I guess it could be done, but I think the spindle is much larger diametre, so if there was enough 'meat' on the drive to bore it out to fit the ZX10 spindle then that could work. BUT, using the 400 front wheel you'd need to do some careful checking to see if the dics would work with the ZX10 calipers. Going that route would probably be much more complicated, but you'd get the speedo drive then :smt002

Edit: If you're lucky, and it all fits with just a change of wheel bearings and spacers on the 400 wheel, (and the modified speedo drive), then that could be a good solution :smt001
bobdewartal

Post by bobdewartal »

Looks like the ZXR upgrade may well be put on hold for a bit have just been offered a ZX9R 98 for £1600 only 15000 on the clock and is running sweet as a nut! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 Would be silly to pass as have some trips planned for the summer and the ZX9 would be just the ticket. good for touring and still enough poke to have a little fun and games.

Needless to say I shall look again at the front upgrade of the ZXR400 she was my first bike and will have to hold on to her for a while longer have only just popped some new BT014 front and rear. Would be a shame to let some one else have the fun of brand new rubber!!!

Thanks for all the help and advise good to know there is knowledge and help and advice at the end of the key pad.
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Right, it turns out I've made some wrong assumptions. The ZX10r forks are wider (by 2mm) at the bottom yoke than the ZX6r/ZXR400 so will not go into the 400 yokes. The ZX10r stem bearings are the same, but the stem is shorter than both the 400 and ZX6r, so the yokes may not(probably not) fit the ZXR400 frame. The ZX10r fork offset is 30mm, the 400 34mm and the ZX6r 26mm. There would be some solutions to fit, one would be to bore the ZXR400 bottom yokes out by 2mm.

Anyway, it's cost me to find that out. Thought I better pass it on before anyone else tries the conversion. :smt001
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

Ive been reading your posts recently Greville, and trying to work out what racebike you are building....
i reckon, you are planning to come back on a modded zxr400 for that thundersports class??
am i close?
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

:smt003

All will be revealed, but only if it actually happens :smt002 :smt004

I have a habit of starting things and not completing them :smt009

Not a 400 though :smt002
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

are you going 250?

having read what you said about the offsets of the forks (not very good at suspention) the 6r forks are going to REALLY slow down the handeling having 8mm less off set right? would you be able to fix this by droping the front end/raising the rear?
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/