Helmet Visor Enquiry

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

insurerman
My Bike: tomos moped

Helmet Visor Enquiry

Post by insurerman »

Hi, does anyone know the official stance on iridium helmet visors? Someone told me that they are against the law at night and other people say they are against the law full stop...i'm a bit confused because you do see a lot of riders with them on and i dont know whether they're trying their luck with the old bill or they're actually legal during daytime hours..... :smt004
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

last time I checked...

- A visor is not legal for road use in the UK unless it's kitemarked. Day or night.

- You'll only find very lightly smoked visors with kitemarks, no black or iridium ones.

But...

- I think you are very unlikely to get pulled for one, and if you do they will generally let you go if you are carrying a clear one with you. This is based on years of hearsay, I've never been pulled over, because I've never had a dark visor, because....

- The stick on inserts and dark pinlock inserts for clear visors are perfectly legal.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

To be fair deviant is correct im sure you cant tint your visor its like having your windscreen tinted aint it you need it to let so much percent of light in or somet. i got c caberg helmet its got pulldown shades in it but them irridium ones do look wicked thoe. :smt003
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

how do you get on with the caberg (and what model have you got)?

it seems like such a brilliant idea compared to having to change visors or wear sunnies. be interested to know what they are like to live with.

oh and are they ACU stickered? Wouldn't like to have to go back to my old one if i did a trackday.
In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
insurerman

Post by insurerman »

Yeah see, I cant see the difference between wearing shades or having a iridium visor. Bloomin ridiculus laws in this sodding country are stupid.....
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

according to MCN (whether you believe in it or not) the laws are changing, and any tinted visors are going to be legal
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i've had an iridium visor for a couple of years now and never been pulled! and you can't see jack at night!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
insurerman

Post by insurerman »

Thats good coz I don't know any Jacks Baz :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt002
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

yea i aint had a problem with the caberg its been good to me so far i got it off e bay for £110 supposed to be £150. its the 1 where you can pull the front up an the normal clear visor is steam resistant (althoe at low speeds it does steam a touch sometimes but nothin compared to other lids) to be fair i werent sure of it at first cos or the front but if you need petrol u dont need to take the helmet off just lift the front up, an you just flick a switch an the shades pull down. so far i would say mint helmet, oh an yea they got the ACU sticker so you can use on trackdays. not sure what model i got ill let you know monday.
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

insurerman wrote:Thats good coz I don't know any Jacks Baz :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt002
pmsl you got one over me! not many do that! :smt005
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

insurerman wrote:Yeah see, I cant see the difference between wearing shades or having a iridium visor. Bloomin ridiculus laws in this sodding country are stupid.....
i can see the difference:

having shades on is bloody dangerous cos you can't flip them up if you go into a tunnel/car park like you can with a dark visor.

but guess which one is legal...
In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Try wearing a dark visor to bed and watching Moto G.P. its wicked :smt003

Sorry But its the only way to learn a race track kma

Found a new Icon god it gets better on here :smt064 wake up Baz wake up
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

An asshole copper fined my brother for a small numberplate, and wearing an iridium visor that wasnt kite marked. £30 for the visor and £40 for the numberplate, then he proceeded to detain us for nearly an hour at the side of the road after i asked him if his missus didnt put out that morning. He tried to tell him his helmet wasnt legal too because it had no E stamp on the visor and ignored it when my brother showed him the E stamp on the inside strap, kept saying it has to be on the visor for the helmet to be legal.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

coppers are cnuts!

i got a new visor for my agv today, rainbow iridium, and its legal :smt003

cost a bit though
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

Xphyral wrote:then he proceeded to detain us for nearly an hour at the side of the road after i asked him if his missus didnt put out that morning.
rotfl. so you were doing your best to be diplomatic then?
In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy