i'm finally gonna get the zxr underway

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Adam K
My Bike: tomos moped

i'm finally gonna get the zxr underway

Post by Adam K »

tomorrow i'm gonna take the fairings and tank to a bodyshop to get them sprayed.

i'm thinking just plain black but has anyone else got any good suggestions on colour?

no pink please!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

errrm no then! what about green?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

green. I've been working on mine too. Got the old engine out last night before going out and spent today stripping things down so i could sand the frame. Got one side sanded down now so tomorrow I'll do the other.
Andy
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

i have no engine in mine as the current one is heat seized and i dropped it out about 2 months back, i am buying a new engine for it, just have to get my act together. the problem i've had is that i've been working weekends for the past year so i never have any time, but i start my new job on the 19th and don't ever have to work weekends, so i want the bike sorted so i can go riding.

i wanna get the wheels powdercoated too.

i did have a thought of maybe getting the fairings and tank sprayed ford focus ST asbo orange.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Northern ANdy wrote:green. I've been working on mine too. Got the old engine out last night before going out and spent today stripping things down so i could sand the frame. Got one side sanded down now so tomorrow I'll do the other.
you sanded it down?! some serious patience you got, easier/quicker to have it sand blasted surely? Then powder coat :smt001

Id like to see a ZXR in pure black, been considering it lately myself instead of the green i want, just cos itll be quicker and cheaper. Go for whatever colour you fancy really, something different and individual is always good, but not different in a bad way! :smt001
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Northern ANdy »

would have to be matt black if you were to go black. it would look very stealthy.

i didn't hand sand it, been using an orbital but it leaves very tiny rings in the surface of the beam so I'm going to have to get some superfine wet and dry or one of those polishing kits on ebay. decided the swingarm is going black now, sod polishing that too
Andy
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

ok, an update, i am picking up the new engine for the bike on the weekend of the 31st of march.

hopefully have the bike up and running and on the road before the middle of april.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

Northern ANdy wrote:
i didn't hand sand it, been using an orbital but it leaves very tiny rings in the surface of the beam so I'm going to have to get some superfine wet and dry or one of those polishing kits on ebay. decided the swingarm is going black now, sod polishing that too
believe me mate, polishing is piss when you know how and have the right stuff, i'm regretting havin my frame and swinger polished now i've done my forks.

see http://www.polishing-kits.co.uk/ my wheels are on the photo page, get yaself an abrasive kit and polishing kit.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

what do you recon i should do then? polish or powdercoat the frame and swingarm?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

its ok polishing it if your gonna spend every weekend keeping it polished.
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

masterofinsanity wrote:its ok polishing it if your gonna spend every weekend keeping it polished.
if i was going powder coated what would be involved in that? i can take everything to bits, but would i have to remove all bearings etc?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

check with your powdercoater mate cos sometimes they will just mask them off with foil tape, but the best bet is to remove em cos if any crap gets in them they will wear down twice as fast. also fill any threaded holes with old bolts.
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Northern ANdy »

before they can be powdercoated it will need beed or shot blasting. My local PdC place doesn't offer this so check how far you will have to trundle the bits if they cant do it for you.

I'm only polishing half of my frame, down to the welds. Im unsure whether to get the swinger powdered or painted. PdC is much more hard wearing and probably cheaper
Andy
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i thought all powdercoaters did the shotblasting first? obviously not then!
Bozzie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bozzie »

I was wondering this can you paint frames, cus considering it if i get this zxr400