Total votes: 18

Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

GSXR750 vs ZX7r

Post by Gemini »

hi girls and boys.

im in the market for a bike, im tempted to go brand new on 0% finance but know its a better option to go for a bike between £1500 - £2000 and buy it outright.

also, i dont ride all year round so the thought of an £8000 bike wasting away in the garage for best part of 6 months makes a used bike seem a better option

i have narrowed down my search to the gsxr750 and the zx7r. i reckon the gixxer is a better alround bike, but the zx7 has kick ass looks and will be fast enough for me.

im starting this poll between the two bikes to help me make my decision,

thanks

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

gixer mate, but i have found you a zx7r for 2 grand.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Well i think my reccomendation is a forgone conclusion. Been considering a recent GSXR750 lately but reading a post about the ZX7 on mcnninjas.co.uk made me realise how good the ZX7R is and kept me true, although ive never ridden a gixer i cant really speak about them.

Have to say my shoulders kill on the ZX7 after a few hours riding, i think thats because of the slight reach to the bars but otherwise i give the bike a 9.5/10. Get a good set of tyres on and some braided lines and youll be sorted :smt001
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology

Post by Gemini »

does the zx7 pull more like a 1000 or a 600?

cuz now i have ridden a 1000, i want the power to be closer to that than a 600

gem
Adam K
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Adam K »

Gemini wrote:does the zx7 pull more like a 1000 or a 600?

cuz now i have ridden a 1000, i want the power to be closer to that than a 600

gem
my ninja 636 was quicker than my housemates zx7r, and yes i rode both extensively.

and on the flip side, my 636 was nowhere near as quick as my R1, so no, a 7r won't pull like a thou.

bear in mind that the 7r is a big old heavy beast and is old technology. saying that the 7r handles amazingly and just feels so planted.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

As adam K said really. By todays standards its not gonna pull like a thou at all, nor like a new 600.

But they do handle, ive had my elbow down on my 7R and it didnt feel like it was gonna drop at all. Mind you this was at like 15 mph round a very small roundabout, but gives you an idea of what the bike is capable of, but of course you dont do that in your every day riding so is probably irrelevant :smt003
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

How old a gixxer would you be looking at?
if its a fuel injected one, its a no brainer IMO - Suzuki fuel injection is wonderful!
I'd go for the gixxer every time. but I am kinda biased :-)

/Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

zx9r c model.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

never ridden either, but i'd go for the kwak unless (obv) I wanted a newish bike.

no justification but i'm not really a gixxer fan, and I think either would have plenty of power.

Performance Bikes did a nice attempt on dragging a ZX7 up to date a while back. think they shaved something ridiculous like 30kg off it and tuned it a bit.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

For looks a ZX7-R will take it every time on any poll.

In truth, a Gixxer is lighter and probably faster top end - but then if a 750 is more powerful it's probably because it's sacrificed torque for top hp - so chances are a ZX7 will pull better and therefore be better on the road.

In handling stakes the ZX7 has to take it again! That stable front end is something we'll all know on this site from the 400's.

Of course, the newer Gixxers will slaughter it - and from about 3 or 4 years ago it's the ONLY Gixxer I'd want to own.

BUT.... Look at World and British Superbikes and you won't see a GSXR750 as the ONLY bike consistantly to challenge the Dukes over past years! What does that tell you????

With a little work the Kwak will do the job perfectly in all the ways the Gixxer never could - and on the roads even an old bog-standard one will be good enough.

In my opinion of course...
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology

Post by Gemini »

well the votes are 50/50 so i guess i will take all your views and make my casting vote

me and baz r goin to see a zx7r this weekend. good price, only 2 owners from new, serviced at 12000miles, currently has 13500miles from new! current owner owned for nearly 7yrs

a few nice add on bits like yoshi can, polished wheels. and of course, its a green one - we all know green kwaks r fastest :smt002

so providing the bike is as sound as described, i think im back on the road!

thanks for all your help guys

gem
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology

Post by Gemini »

Caz wrote:How old a gixxer would you be looking at?
if its a fuel injected one, its a no brainer IMO - Suzuki fuel injection is wonderful!
I'd go for the gixxer every time. but I am kinda biased :-)

/Caz
it looks like im swaying towards the zx7r as im lookin at one this weekend, howver if its not suitable and my search continues then i rckon a 1996/97 gixxer so its doubtful it would have fuel injection

thanks

gem
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Ive always considered gixxers to be a chavs bike. Present company excepted Baz, yours is nothing like a chavs bike :smt002
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

Gemini wrote:[
it looks like im swaying towards the zx7r as im lookin at one this weekend, howver if its not suitable and my search continues then i rckon a 1996/97 gixxer so its doubtful it would have fuel injection

thanks

gem
The first fuel injected ones were in 2000 IIRC

If it isnt a fuel injected one, I'd say go for which ever one speaks to you the most - you gotta ride it at the end of the day!
test ride both of em

I thought I wanted a 2003 R6 until I rode one (40 laps of the Nurburgring - pretty decent test ride) and I realised that although the handled well, engine was good etc, that I found the bike boring to ride.
Then I test rode the 2004 gixxer, and ended up grinning like an absolute idiot - so I bought one, and I still grin like an idiot every time I go out on it.

IMO, it doesnt matter which one is better on paper, test ride em if you can and then make your mind up

just my 2p worth :-)

/Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

RobB wrote:Ive always considered gixxers to be a chavs bike. Present company excepted Baz, yours is nothing like a chavs bike :smt002
so what exactly does mine look like? :smt017
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.