ZXR400 J2

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

morgy

ZXR400 J2

Post by morgy »

Hi Guys

I have finally got my self a little pocket rocket project, Running but not really running :pmsl Wrong carbs and barley set up and badly fitted but the motor didn't have any nocks/rattles etc
The Frame number confirms J2 on the Kawasaki website that was posted up on here so all good there! ZX400H 301*** J2 spec :excited Front forks are the fully adjustable type and the rear shock also fully adjustable but no Green spring?? :smt014 Camshafts have also got the adjusters! Single seat unit looks Original with a fine weave Glass build up.. A few cracks but all good really.. No idea on the C/R gearbox yet but has a 15t front sprocket

I have emailed Kawasaki UK to find out if the Motor is Original to the bike but at 22k KM I would have thought I would be unless it was a race bike at one time.. The J2 came with CVK carbs fitted and would run "just" but also came with a set of Keihin FCR's but there not complete and in a pretty sorry state with bits missing.. Missing jets, Screws, plus a few more bits!! but these Line up with all the cables and fit perfectly unlike the CVK's so these are going in for sale box.

I will post up some photos when I get some decent ones of the bike once properly cleaned up as she has been sitting for a few years!

I do have some questions regarding the J2 spec and parts fitted to these bikes if anyone has the knowledge about these bikes and willing to share with a ZXR newbie...

From what I can make out from the Kawasaki website the J2's only went up to 301341 and started at 301021 making my bike 1 of 320 J2's ever made.

The Generator covers on J2's, Were they the same as the H2 and when did this model go from the flat cover to the ZXR lettered cover? mine being in the 300's and a late bike I'm curious if it would have had the ZXR cover or still using the older style flat one?

Would all The J2's have Had a green spring or would they have used black like the Later L1-L2's ?

If the motor comes back as Original to the bike I will be doing a full restoration on the her.. She Had been Loved at one point in her life but neglected for a while and left to Rott in a Garage.. :smt018
morgy

Re: ZXR400 J2

Post by morgy »

morgy

Re: ZXR400 J2

Post by morgy »

After a few hours work the bike is now stripped out and all boxed up in it's major components

Image528FAF7E-92D5-4D67-8E0B-AA5ED91228DF by Morgy ZXR, on Flickr

Hopefully off for a light media blast to removed paint and the polish finish..