Trading a FZS600?

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Saba
My Bike: tomos moped

Trading a FZS600?

Post by Saba »

Hey guys, new to the forum and hoping to stay if all goes right.
17 years old, currently ride a yamaha 2000 FZS600 fazer. Like a honda hornet for anyone unaware. 90 something horsepower, 190 kilo dry weight, upright and comfy but sorta vague in handling and a little boring.

I found a 1989 zxr400 for sale that looks in great shape. Looking to trade my fazer in for the zxr and about $1000 dollars on top. Zxr has a claimed 6000km on it which i dont believe but looks in great shape nonetheless. Looking for a bike to just have fun on blasting around. Have an oldschool mbx80 for a daily run about sort of bike. Zxr would just be for fun and longer trips.

Love the look, love everything ive read about the performance. Fully willing to trade the slightly lower speed for the handling and flickablity. Is there any reason i shouldn't take the zxr plunge?

Only thing that concerns me is potential reliability issues on a nearly 30 year old bike. Would love any input you might have.

Thank you.

Pictures of the bike in question: http://kiev.ko.olx.ua/obyavlenie/kawasa ... emZza.html#
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Trading a FZS600?

Post by banner001 »

has been dropped at least once on both sides, but the damage looks to be minor, check for oil on the outside of the generator cover (left hand side of the bike).

its an old bike, and will frequently break down on you, plus the H model parts, many are now no longer in production which makes sourcing spare parts a constant concern.

if your fazer fires up on the first button press every day no matter what the weather and fires up from hot and cold i would be tempted to stay away :D

its a bike to be nurtured and ridden on selected days, its difficult to use it as a daily commuter - take it from me :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Grooveski
My Bike: ZXR400 M1

Re: Trading a FZS600?

Post by Grooveski »

My dad ran a Fazer 600 for a while. I thought it was great - the easiest bike to ride I've ever had the pleasure of chucking about and comfy to boot. :smt001
Performance-wise it and the wee zxr huckled along at about the same pace no matter who was riding which. The feel of the pair was totaly different though, I throughly enjoyed the high wide-bar chuckability of the Fazer but was always happy to get back on the more precise zxr again.

Weather protection turned out to be why I ended up doing a fair few miles on it. At the time my dad had 40-odd miles to do of a winter morning and me only 15. He left before me and when the weather was bad would take the zxr simply because it had the full fairing. I'd be stuck with the Fazer's awful little handlebar fairing but for the short hop it didn't matter so much.

At least changing to the H model you should have decent brakes. It was jumping on and off the Fazer that reinforced my opinion that the L model zxr brakes were just plain shite. Reducing the pad area so much when they upped the disk size was a wierd decision.