Help with parts swap to zzr from zxr the end of my zxr

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Jon-R987
My Bike: Zxr400 L1

Help with parts swap to zzr from zxr the end of my zxr

Post by Jon-R987 »

Hi everyone been on the forum for a while never really posted much I have an ex track bike back on the road zxr400 L1. Wasn't looked after by old owner. 1 year ago I stripped it and was rebuilding it. I re polished the head ex ports and re shimed the valves new chain tenshnor and cam chain and gaskets. Bike had new L5 loom L5 fuse box plugged everything in and engine won't start it has the sound of fireing up but just won't so pulled out again checked all timing and everything to no avail engine doesn't have exhaust fitted and is being bench started not pulling it out the frame a 3rd time for no avail. So I can't afford to throw more money into the bike :( I loved my zxr. But I have been offers from father in law for my gs500 a zzr400 now o know a 600 engine swap is simply a 3 hour job with the zzr. But I want to know what parts will fit the zzr from my zxr will the usds with triples and clip ons fit rear shock and my fareings more importantly the rear seat and pillion seat I don't like the zzr set up prefer my zxr set up?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Help with parts swap to zzr from zxr the end of my zxr

Post by banner001 »

ive been on this forum for several years, and i can count on one hand the number of times anyone has asked anything zzr400 related...its just such a rare bike over here.

as for will bits fit, you are going to have to be the judge of that, there is almost 0% chance of anyone on here having the correct info im afraid...

as for not starting, do you have compression, do you get a spark, are the coils attached to the correct cylinders, do you have new fresh fuel, when did you last open the carbs, has the engine ever fired up, fresh plugs?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Jon-R987
My Bike: Zxr400 L1

Re: Help with parts swap to zzr from zxr the end of my zxr

Post by Jon-R987 »

Thanks for the reply. Well it was a long shot haha. Compression 152.5 across the 4 pots. Brand new fuel. Cr9e plugs tryed cr9eix tryed plenty of good sparking. Coils brand new dyna performance wired up proper checked 100s of times. Cards fully rebuilt new seals jets everything. Carb setting checked countless times. The bike being ex race bike had a hacked loom when last 3 owners put her back on road. And thrashed f**k oot of it. When I acquired it it ran dog rough blown head gasket cam chain rattle fooked chain tenshinor my zxr was an absolute dog. I have put a lot of time and hundreds of pounds into the engine repairing and freshining it up back to its old day. The engine is a serious bit of kit when I removed it and pulled it apart this was what I found Kent cams adjustable gears adjustable ignition pic up + or - 5 degrees unknown valve springs unknown valves but all fine. Lightend and balanced crank and rods unknown Pistons. Ported and polished head and all ports matched and flowed. So because some parts are unknown and that I had to rebuild the engine not knowing much of how it was built all I had done to head was re polished ex port and re ground the valve seats and left it with petrol in upside down 24 hours later was still there so valves are sealed and just checked everything was fine and to speck as per the racing manual on the form but..... Who ever raced the bike spent alot that's all I know.