fuel tank removed

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

hastie011
My Bike: zxr400

fuel tank removed

Post by hastie011 »

hey everyone, just joined this club and was wondering if someone could help me out... bought a zxr400 yesterday and I've had a little bit of trouble starting it, the guy i bought it from says it starts no probs all the time but the 2 times I've tried to start it i need to turn it over for ages, i tried it with a little choke and it done nothing, turned the choke off and a little throttle and after time it eventually burst into life, I'm guessing its needing a new set of plugs, whats the easiest way to change them, i tried to get the fuel tank off but it was a pain in the ass, I'm a mechanic to trade but no worked on bikes much so any info would be great
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: fuel tank removed

Post by Miles »

Two bolts at the front Under the fairing & 2 under the seat. Your need to disconnect the fuel hose from the tap. Make sure you have the tap set in the off position first.
hastie011

Post by hastie011 »

do you know where the tap is located on the bike ? i had a little look for it and couldn't find it
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

If you don't know where the tap it, then it may not be turned on, which would possibly explain the reluctance to start.
The tap is located in a round hole in the rear fairing, above the gear linkage. The "rib" will be horizontal in the "off" position. Turn it 90deg anti-clockwise for the normal running position, and then 180deg clockwise for the reserve fuel. I think that the plastic handle will have to be removed to allow the tank to be lifted off. There is a small cross-head screw down the middle of the handle - as the man has already said - make sure the tap is in the off position. There is a rib on the operating shaft of the tap to ensure you put it back on in the correct position.
Once the tank is off, you will need to remove the airbox, which has two M10 screws internally, accessed through two holes in the airbox which are normally sealed with rubber plugs. Be careful how you withdraw your socket on the extension shaft - if the socket hits the side of the hole it can be pulled off the extension and fall inside. That's OK if you have removed both screws, because you can remove the airbox and retrieve it, but if you've only removed one screw you'll need another socket for the other screw!
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Think someone might be taking the piss here guys.

Can't be arsed taking the tank off, can't find the fuel tap :ffs
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: KR-1R

Post by Top-shaggy »

KwakKwak wrote:Think someone might be taking the piss here guys.

Can't be arsed taking the tank off, can't find the fuel tap :ffs

That's exactly what I thought too ... !

:pmsl :pmsl :pmsl
We are we're we are..
hastie011

Post by hastie011 »

not taking the piss just never worked on a bike like this
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

Yep..full ov it....a mechanic by trade...but can't undo 4 bolts...yeh..yeh... :ffs
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

PISS TAKERS!

see the below pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

:pmsl .. :gamer